Speakers Cutting In And Out - All Speakers Work But Not Always At The Same Time

Participant count
  • Participant list

_TypeZero_

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi All! New to the forum so I'm not too sure if I'm posting in the right place but I have an issue with my stock 08 chevy cobalt. As stated in the title the speakers cut in and out but it's at random. Normally the rear speakers are the only ones providing any sound. Sometimes the left front speaker will cut in and provide audio like it should and rarely does the right front speaker join the party.

It was working fine for about the first year and a half that I've had the car but this issue suddenly started. Head unit seems to be fully functional but I've yet to take anything apart as I'm honestly not even to sure what to look for. Any ideas as to what I should be checking aside from just looking at the wiring connections?

Could you provide a little more information for help on troubleshooting?

What's your system layout?
Factory head unit?
Is there an amp? Or two?
Is there anything between the amp and head unit (provided there's an amp) such as DSP/crossover/EQ?
If this isn't factory - did you install or was it professionally installed?
Any rhyme or reason to when the speakers cut out, for example when cold, when hitting bumps, after a door is slammed?

As @audiobaun stated it could be any number of things and where you start depends on what's happening.

-Eric

So it's the factory head unit and factory speakers. There's no extra amps and it's just a bone stock setup.

As for when they cut out there really isn't a specific time. Usually the car starts with only the rear speakers working however I normally play music through the aux cable.

I tired disconnecting the aux and seeing if perhaps it was just the aux input and not anything else but even with just the FM radio it's normally the rear speakers.

I also noticed that if I give the aux a quick shock the front right speaker will come on. I've only had both front speakers come on once by doing this. Note that I'm not using any external methods to provide the shock, it's usually just like those times where you randomly touch something and it gives you a tiny shock.

I'm starting to think it's the head unit though and either way I'm planning on getting it replaced.

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the update - it helps as the variables are known.

Sounds like bad solder connections in the factory HU - so either repair or replacement is needed. Repairing would involve pulling and correcting any cold solder - if you've been wanting an updated HU then now's the time!

-Eric

Yeah I figured repairing the factory unit isn't really worth the money and might as well buy a new one and get something more modern. I'm thinking of going for the Alpine iLX-W650.

As for the speakers I figure I might as well upgrade those while I'm at it and I'm thinking about going for the Rockford Fosgate T1675-S component system from crutchfield and doing the Fosgate T1693 6x9's for the rear. I also think I should get a decent amp and I'm debating on whether or not to get a sub since I mostly listen to rock which isn't typically super bass heavy but I do like the idea of being able to hear all the low end frequencies better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.