Speaker Suggestions $200 Budget

rick619

CarAudio.com Newbie
Looking to upgrade the speakers in my 04 Jeep Wrangler. Stock sizes are 4X6 in the front and 5.25 in the rear. Most likely going to buy from Crutchfield because they send all the adapters and things, and are good with returns. There is a factory sub, not looking to replace it.

Looking for quality over loudness, though the Jeep doesn't really have good acoustics. It does have a hard top. My hearing is not the best after lots of loud music in the past and nerve damage from chemo. So probably looking for brighter sound.

I used to be into car audio in the late 80's, but now out of touch with what is good. Keeping the budget at $200 or so because I may end up keeping this Jeep for a few years and then give it to one of my sons.

Music: Mostly rock and some country.

I was going to have a shop do the install, but looks like they charge about 60%+ for labor. So will try to do it myself.

Head unit is the Sony XAV-AX3200 which has:

General
RMS Power (CTA-2006)20 watts
RMS Power (Manufacturer)20 watts
Peak Output55 watts
RMS Power Bandwidth20-20kHz

Got estimates from two shops:

One suggested Infinity Kappa 4X6 in the front and lesser Infinity 5.25 in the rear. But they wanted $525.

Another one suggested Kicker CS series for $390 for both pairs.

Kicker used to have mediocre subs, and don't think they made mids and highs back then. Though if they're decent now would still consider.

Get some aftermarket door pods and put a set of 6.5 components like Polk Audio DB or MM series and place an amplifier on them of a min of 75 watts and get a set of 5.25 for rears.

This is an example of what I myself at the Minimum would put in there

Thanks for the suggestion. However, not looking to go over $200 and not going to buy an amp. Replacing the OEM speakers is already a stretch for my ability, so just want bolt in replacements for now.

Looking to upgrade the speakers in my 04 Jeep Wrangler. Stock sizes are 4X6 in the front and 5.25 in the rear. Most likely going to buy from Crutchfield because they send all the adapters and things, and are good with returns. There is a factory sub, not looking to replace it.

Looking for quality over loudness, though the Jeep doesn't really have good acoustics. It does have a hard top. My hearing is not the best after lots of loud music in the past and nerve damage from chemo. So probably looking for brighter sound.

I used to be into car audio in the late 80's, but now out of touch with what is good. Keeping the budget at $200 or so because I may end up keeping this Jeep for a few years and then give it to one of my sons.

Music: Mostly rock and some country.

I was going to have a shop do the install, but looks like they charge about 60%+ for labor. So will try to do it myself.

Head unit is the Sony XAV-AX3200 which has:

General
RMS Power (CTA-2006)20 watts
RMS Power (Manufacturer)20 watts
Peak Output55 watts
RMS Power Bandwidth20-20kHz
I installed some infinity reference 2-way speakers in the bottom of my doors and installed Clarion 3-way in the upper doors and rear shelf. The shops frightened me with their prices, so I did it myself. You tube provides good videos on speaker installs. Crutchfied.com also provide instruction with their speakers. I believe that I purchased both on amazon. It has been several years, and all are still performing well.

Just going to throw this out there.
Try to see if you can isolate one set of speakers, either the front or the rear with any fader type settings on the head unit. Listen to just the front, and then just the rear, and the acoustics/stage might be good enough where you could do just one set or the other. I really think you would be better off with a small amp and even just one pair of speakers that will fit and work with that wattage. You're just not going to get much volume out of what you have, and that's a real tight budget to get anything. I think you might be better off, focusing on just one pair. (Maybe down the road you do the other, or you buy a cheap set to help finish it off).

I would look into what adapters you can find for the front. I KNOW you can find a universal adapter to use a 4" speaker, and with any luck you can find something for a jeep for a 5.25". A 4x6 is a really limited size to search. You can probably find something, but I'll bet it's one or two options. A 4" is generally going to be a midrange for that budget, so you would see if you can install a tweeter somewhere. If a 5.25 is an option with an adapter, it would give so much more to work with.

Depending on how those rear 5.25s are, (angled, height, etc), they might be able to give you what you want alone. If they do, then I would definitely focus the budget on a small amp, (maybe even used, because you would have a good chance of getting the wiring, fuse holders, etc.. to go along with it in a package deal). A 250 watt amp is only going to add about 20 amps, (250w /.85 / 14.4) so you shouldn't need to worry about any of the other electrical. $200 for a small amp, and a pair of 5.25s will sound A LOT better than 4x6s and 5.25s on 20 watts, (if your vehicle's sound stage will work for a single pair). A small 4 ch amp can probably be bought for a little over $100 new. If you're willing to get a used one, I would bet $50. I just don't see any 20w speaker IN A JEEP, with you having hearing issues, really solving the problem.

If you already have speakers, they will be plug and play, just unscrew and swap. Audio shops charge a lot, and thats even the ones that have no clue how to do things right. You really should be able to figure it out from youtube vids, jeep forums, and asking here. If you have any audio guys/teens in your area/neighborhood, they would probably do it for $20 or a 6 pack, (I didn't say that), and do a better job than most audio shops.

If you didn't see about crutchfield, they also provide phone support on everything the sell, (included). If you're not yet asking this on the jeep forums, I would do that, and you might be able to buy a package deal at a good price. That or you jeep guys are a brotherhood. You could show up to a meet with the stuff in the back seat, and tell em your mopey, and 7 guys would stop and start feeding wires to each other. There would probably be so many of em wanting to help, they would be getting in each other's way.

Just going to throw this out there.
Try to see if you can isolate one set of speakers, either the front or the rear with any fader type settings on the head unit. Listen to just the front, and then just the rear, and the acoustics/stage might be good enough where you could do just one set or the other. I really think you would be better off with a small amp and even just one pair of speakers that will fit and work with that wattage. You're just not going to get much volume out of what you have, and that's a real tight budget to get anything. I think you might be better off, focusing on just one pair. (Maybe down the road you do the other, or you buy a cheap set to help finish it off).

I would look into what adapters you can find for the front. I KNOW you can find a universal adapter to use a 4" speaker, and with any luck you can find something for a jeep for a 5.25". A 4x6 is a really limited size to search. You can probably find something, but I'll bet it's one or two options. A 4" is generally going to be a midrange for that budget, so you would see if you can install a tweeter somewhere. If a 5.25 is an option with an adapter, it would give so much more to work with.

Depending on how those rear 5.25s are, (angled, height, etc), they might be able to give you what you want alone. If they do, then I would definitely focus the budget on a small amp, (maybe even used, because you would have a good chance of getting the wiring, fuse holders, etc.. to go along with it in a package deal). A 250 watt amp is only going to add about 20 amps, (250w /.85 / 14.4) so you shouldn't need to worry about any of the other electrical. $200 for a small amp, and a pair of 5.25s will sound A LOT better than 4x6s and 5.25s on 20 watts, (if your vehicle's sound stage will work for a single pair). A small 4 ch amp can probably be bought for a little over $100 new. If you're willing to get a used one, I would bet $50. I just don't see any 20w speaker IN A JEEP, with you having hearing issues, really solving the problem.

If you already have speakers, they will be plug and play, just unscrew and swap. Audio shops charge a lot, and thats even the ones that have no clue how to do things right. You really should be able to figure it out from youtube vids, jeep forums, and asking here. If you have any audio guys/teens in your area/neighborhood, they would probably do it for $20 or a 6 pack, (I didn't say that), and do a better job than most audio shops.

If you didn't see about crutchfield, they also provide phone support on everything the sell, (included). If you're not yet asking this on the jeep forums, I would do that, and you might be able to buy a package deal at a good price. That or you jeep guys are a brotherhood. You could show up to a meet with the stuff in the back seat, and tell em your mopey, and 7 guys would stop and start feeding wires to each other. There would probably be so many of em wanting to help, they would be getting in each other's way.

Funny you should mention asking the Jeepers -- I did exactly that. I hit up the most knowledgeable person I know of and got his opinion. He did say a 5 1/4 will fit up front. So as of yet, I'm going to order:

Front: JL Audio C1-525x
Rear: 5 1/4 Kicker 47KSC504

He had suggested Rockford Fosgate T152 for the front and says they would fit. Though Crutchfield won't let me add them to the cart without including Select Increment dash pods which are $90. I'm sure the pods would make it sound better, but that's practically double, so going with the JL since I had them in my last Jeep (components f/r, sub and two amps) and were happy with them.

The Kicker are mostly because they will have some bass and provide some rear fill. Probably order in a few hours to time with getting the parts for the weekend.

The full story:
The 04 Jeep Sahara these will go in is likely temporary, probably keep it 4 years at most.

I also have an 06 that is essentially my hot rod. If I ever buy an amp, it will go in there. Though that one is a soft top, so is always going to have acoustic issues. The previous owner put some aftermarket speakers in it, it sounds decent. I've had it 10 years and honestly don't know what it has up front. I did add an Alpine HU. I think JL speakers, but probably 4X6. There are 5 1/4 JL (I think) in the rear of that one. I may eventually upgrade it, but I have other priorities. I probably have $40K+ into this Jeep. Next on the list is a roll cage which will be around $6K. So if I end up selling the 04 or giving it to one of my kids, I might pull the speakers and switch them with what I put in the 04.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention asking the Jeepers -- I did exactly that. I hit up the most knowledgeable person I know of and got his opinion. He did say a 5 1/4 will fit up front. So as of yet, I'm going to order:

Front: JL Audio C1-525x
Rear: 5 1/4 Kicker 47KSC504

He had suggested Rockford Fosgate T152 for the front and says they would fit. Though Crutchfield won't let me add them to the cart without including Select Increment dash pods which are $90. I'm sure the pods would make it sound better, but that's practically double, so going with the JL since I had them in my last Jeep (components f/r, sub and two amps) and were happy with them.

The Kicker are mostly because they will have some bass and provide some rear fill. Probably order in a few hours to time with getting the parts for the weekend.

The full story:
The 04 Jeep Sahara these will go in is likely temporary, probably keep it 4 years at most.

I also have an 06 that is essentially my hot rod. If I ever buy an amp, it will go in there. Though that one is a soft top, so is always going to have acoustic issues. The previous owner put some aftermarket speakers in it, it sounds decent. I've had it 10 years and honestly don't know what it has up front. I did add an Alpine HU. I think JL speakers, but probably 4X6. There are 5 1/4 JL (I think) in the rear of that one. I may eventually upgrade it, but I have other priorities. I probably have $40K+ into this Jeep. Next on the list is a roll cage which will be around $6K. So if I end up selling the 04 or giving it to one of my kids, I might pull the speakers and switch them with what I put in the 04.
knowing you can put 5 1/4s in there, I would really be trying to go with 2 matching sets, and an amp that is the right wattage on both to make it easy.

Crutchfield really is the best, but there are a lot of other options out there:
For that budget, (and now knowing you have 40K+ into a similar jeep, that you could always swap this into later, but i won't give you too hard of a time).
For that budget, Here is another option: I would have to compare the c1s to the auditor series, I'm sure I would at least take these over the kickers if not both.
RIP-130S - Focal Auditor Series 5.25" 50W RMS 2-Way Component Speakers (woofersetc.com)

Here is a set of components you would want an amp for, but this leaves room in a $200 budget to get one. I still think this would sound better than four speakers that are on 20w each.
Audiobahn ABC5002N 5.25" 160W RMS 2-Way Component Speakers System (woofersetc.com)
Surround sound is not something you need in a vehicle. It's not like watching a TV, where your eyes are focused on a picture and sound is secondary to it. Where surround sound is just there to try to make what you are watching more realistic. You're not really trying to recreate being in a room, you're trying to get blasted with clean sound.

If you didn't you can still listen to your speakers and fade it to just the front speakers. Turn it up a bit, then fade in the back, and see how much of a difference they are making.

Last edited:
knowing you can put 5 1/4s in there, I would really be trying to go with 2 matching sets, and an amp that is the right wattage on both to make it easy.

Crutchfield really is the best, but there are a lot of other options out there:
For that budget, (and now knowing you have 40K+ into a similar jeep, that you could always swap this into later, but i won't give you too hard of a time).
For that budget, Here is another option: I would have to compare the c1s to the auditor series, I'm sure I would at least take these over the kickers if not both.
RIP-130S - Focal Auditor Series 5.25" 50W RMS 2-Way Component Speakers (woofersetc.com)

Here is a set of components you would want an amp for, but this leaves room in a $200 budget to get one. I still think this would sound better than four speakers that are on 20w each.
Audiobahn ABC5002N 5.25" 160W RMS 2-Way Component Speakers System (woofersetc.com)
Surround sound is not something you need in a vehicle. It's not like watching a TV, where your eyes are focused on a picture and sound is secondary to it. Where surround sound is just there to try to make what you are watching more realistic. You're not really trying to recreate being in a room, you're trying to get blasted with clean sound.

If you didn't you can still listen to your speakers and fade it to just the front speakers. Turn it up a bit, then fade in the back, and see how much of a difference they are making.

Not going to do an amp, that would not only put it over my budget, but also make it a job I'm not going to be comfortable doing. Same with components. I know it would sound better, but then I have to figure out where the tweeters would go. I just want something that is simple to install and will sound better than the 20 year old OEM speakers. I ordered them earlier today, they should arrive Friday. Hopefully getting installed Saturday.

I'm going to put in the front first and listen to it. Then do the rear. If I don't like either set, I will exchange them. I figure it can't be worse than it is now. And should sound better than my 06 since the 04 has a hard top and full doors.

Pretty much any 5 1/4 would work in the rear. The front is pretty tight any many of them wouldn't fit without the add on pods (at least according to Crutchfield).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...