Speaker sensitivity

Participant count
  • Participant list

dearborn_tark

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, I have some alpine spr-136a 2-way component speakers along with a stereo that outputs 14w rms. The woofers are so quiet that you have to put your ear up to them to confirm that they are on when 75% max volume. I looked up the sensitivity of the alpines to find that they are 85db sensitivity. Could the power output of my stereo be the reason? If I hook up other speakers with 89db sensitivity, they work pretty normally, although not deafeningly loud. Is the stereo output my problem, and what stereo power output would make the alpines perform?

Look at the spec. sheets for your speakers. That should help you with the nominal power requirements. Also, be aware that rated RMS of stereo units may not always be accurate. Have you considered a separate amplifier to drive the speakers?

Hi, I have some alpine spr-136a 2-way component speakers along with a stereo that outputs 14w rms. The woofers are so quiet that you have to put your ear up to them to confirm that they are on when 75% max volume. I looked up the sensitivity of the alpines to find that they are 85db sensitivity. Could the power output of my stereo be the reason? If I hook up other speakers with 89db sensitivity, they work pretty normally, although not deafeningly loud. Is the stereo output my problem, and what stereo power output would make the alpines perform?

85 db sensitivity is pure garbage lol. 89 db sensitivity is below average. 90 to 92 is the standard for any decent level of loudness. Its not your stereo even though more power would help slightly, considering your speakers are 40 rms max, you cant put a an amp on them and expect more results because only with 10x the current power at 85db sensitivity would it result in real gains across the board but the speaker wont handle that. If it was rated 100 rms then yeah throw an amp. But with what you got, its kinda shitty.

I'd actually just recommend ditching them. Get some Polks or hertz or infinity components, they are all around 92+ Grab a cheap pioneer 100rms x 4 channel gm series amp as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.