SOUNDSTREAM ST4.1000.D INSTALLATION QUESTIONS

Participant count
  • Participant list
I bought this amp (SOUNDSTREAM ST4.1000.D) for my four door speakers, which are kicker. It has a different way of installing because it’s a micro amp and it doesn’t have terminals on it like a normal amp does.

It has plugs with wires coming out of them for your power, ground, remote and then a different plug for your speakers and then on the other side there’s two plugs for RCA jacks. The problem I’m having is it has two grounds and two power lines coming out of the power plug.

The owners manual is confusing because it tells me that it must be hooked up to a battery like a normal amp but the wires are 18 gauge and there’s two wires for power that are 18 gauge and two for ground that or 18 gauge.

In the manual it says to hook the ground up to the chassis of the vehicle using the same size wire as the power wire which is 18 gauge. It doesn’t make sense connecting 18 gauge wire directly to the battery with a fuse on it, but that’s what it says to do with some degree.

So my question is I have (2) power lines that are 18 gauge how my supposed to hook them up? I also have (2) 18 gauge ground wires so where do I hook them up? In the manual it says to hook it up to the chassis and then in another area of the manual, it says to make sure the ground is connected to the stereo ground in the dash period.

So according to the manual, I have (1) 18 gauge ground wire connected to the chassis and I have another 18 gauge ground wire connected to the stereo ground in the dash. Is this the proper way to connect the ground wires?

Same with the power wires. Do I connect the (1) power wire, which is 18 gauge, directly to the battery then take the other power wire and connect it to the stereo power wire in the dash?

If somebody could help me figure this out I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of the amp? Hooking 1 ground up to the chassis and 1 ground at the head unit might be to avoid ground loop noise. The power wire doesn’t make sense to hook up at the head unit. Are you sure it isn’t the remote turn on wire? That would make more sense.

I found the manual for a 1200D when clicking on the 1000D but should be the same procedure.
Don't see anything about running the power wires from the amp to the head unit. It's like a normal amp just with two positive and two ground. Run each ground wire separately with its own ring terminal to the same chassis location using one bolt. Run both positive power wires separately with it's own ring terminals to the positive of the battery. Use 18awg.

I found the manual for a 1200D when clicking on the 1000D but should be the same procedure.
Don't see anything about running the power wires from the amp to the head unit. It's like a normal amp just with two positive and two ground. Run each ground wire separately with its own ring terminal to the same chassis location using one bolt. Run both positive power wires separately with it's own ring terminals to the positive of the battery. Use 18awg.
I have 4 gauge wire connected to the battery with fuse and the ground wire is 4 gauge also and soldered it down to 12 gauge and connected to 1 of each positive and ground and it still went into protection mode. Would that not work to do that? Is the amp that finicky that it needs 2 12 gauge wires for each or goes into protective mode?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...