Sound System Advice - 2019 Honda Civic Hatch RS

Participant count
  • Participant list

lil.boycey

CarAudio.com Newbie
I did a search and I am fairly sure this thread hasn't been opened before...

I own a 2019 Honda Civic Hatch RS (Australian version of the SI, slightly less powerful) and I am looking to upgrade the audio system. At the moment the budget is fairly small ($100-200), with the main issues being a very weak subwoofer in the boot, and rattling/poor sound quality from the front door floor speakers (6.5" I believe).

Within that price range, I understand that the subwoofer is most likely not a realistic upgrade at this current stage. If I keep the head unit as the stock factory radio, what would be the best speakers to buy to replace the front door floor speakers? Obviously bass is the priority as midrange is quite a nice bright sound, looking for a frequency range with a low end of less than 50 Hz ideally.

If you are planning on reusing the stock factory location, you wont get any better results. If you keep the same power, you wont really get any results either. You'll need to disconnect the factory sub and add an actual sub and enclosure if you want any kind of real change.

Stock head units have built-in EQ curves that work with the stock speakers. When you put that EQ curve in with aftermarket speakers that require a flat signal you get straight garbage. Not to mention after market speakers require a lot of power more than what your head unit or factory amp can provide.

This is not as simple as slapping on some speakers and car good. You'll be doing that for the next 3 years and still wonder why your system still sounds like crap. We are trying to save you from that scenario. So for now to save up some money and do a sub upgrade and then you can tackle the rest of the system later on.

Last edited:
If you are planning on reusing the stock factory location, you wont get any better results. If you keep the same power, you wont really get any results either. You'll need to disconnect the factory sub and add an actual sub and enclosure if you want any kind of real change.

Stock head units have built-in EQ curves that work with the stock speakers. When you put that EQ curve in with aftermarket speakers that require a flat signal you get straight garbage. Not to mention after market speakers require a lot of power more than what your head unit or factory amp can provide.

This is not as simple as slapping on some speakers and car good. You'll be doing that for the next 3 years and still wonder why your system still sounds like crap. We are trying to save you from that scenario. So for now to save up some money and do a sub upgrade and then you can tackle the rest of the system later on.
Ok that is all understood thank you for your knowledge! With regards to the sub upgrade, would you recommend merely replacing the in-wall factory sub, or putting a sub (in a seperate box) and amp in the back of the car? What are the pro's and con's of each option, coz I have seen videos where a modifier simply took out the sub from the wall, and replaced it with a more powerful sub of similar size - no amp.

Ok that is all understood thank you for your knowledge! With regards to the sub upgrade, would you recommend merely replacing the in-wall factory sub, or putting a sub (in a seperate box) and amp in the back of the car? What are the pro's and con's of each option, coz I have seen videos where a modifier simply took out the sub from the wall, and replaced it with a more powerful sub of similar size - no amp.

You will notice no difference just swapping a subwoofer either. The factory subwoofer is designed for the factory enclosure and amp.

Get an aftermarket headunit. Add a subwoofer, amplifier, and proper enclosure.

You get 5% performance increase at best or sometimes losses or pure tradeoffs but no actual real tangible improvements. The enclosure is what makes or breaks the subwoofer system you cant stick random subs in random enclosures and expect anything good. A dedicated subwoofer in a properly designed box will blow your socks off in both the sound quality and loud department.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.