Sound quality question...rear speakers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Timbo74

CarAudio.com Regular
I have a set of Boston SL60s (80w rms 220w peak)components, which are getting installed this week.
I will be pushing them with 2 channels of my JL Audio jx400/4D (70w rms)
I know it is the consensus, that rear deck speakers actually degrade sound quality....Is the reason for that the position of the rear speaker...shooting sound straight up to the glass, where it is reflected at the rear seats? Would it degrade the sound quality, to install some decent 6.5 coaxial in the side panels, above the armrests, in the back seats, where they would be at about chest level for most rear passengers?
I have my eyes on some Focal coaxials that are 70w rms, just need to find grills.

Why not Bridge that four channel first and send some more power to the Boston component set.
I guess I could bridge it for 110wx2. Would bridging it make channels 1 and 2 the right channel, and 3 and 4 the left channel, or vise versa?
I just spent all day sound proofing my drivers door, running speaker wire, and installing the crossover in the door. I have to get some more speaker wire before I finish.
It’s been quite the choir, I had to remove the door, to get access to the harness, which ***** because I had my door sitting on a transmission jack in the rear, and blocks up front, while a friend was holding it, long story short...I had to muscle the clip out of the door side of the harness...and the door wasn’t being held good enough...now it’s pretty scratched up, and has two creases where it hit the blocks!
I was planning on painting it next summer, but damn, now I got more body work to do, lol. When I do the passenger door, I’m gonna either, try again to get it apart without pulling the door, but if I have to, I’m gonna lay it on a blanket, and not depend on help.

I guess I could bridge it for 110wx2. Would bridging it make channels 1 and 2 the right channel, and 3 and 4 the left channel, or vise versa?
I just spent all day sound proofing my drivers door, running speaker wire, and installing the crossover in the door. I have to get some more speaker wire before I finish.
It’s been quite the choir, I had to remove the door, to get access to the harness, which ***** because I had my door sitting on a transmission jack in the rear, and blocks up front, while a friend was holding it, long story short...I had to muscle the clip out of the door side of the harness...and the door wasn’t being held good enough...now it’s pretty scratched up, and has two creases where it hit the blocks!
I was planning on painting it next summer, but damn, now I got more body work to do, lol. When I do the passenger door, I’m gonna either, try again to get it apart without pulling the door, but if I have to, I’m gonna lay it on a blanket, and not depend on help.

I feel your pain lol

I had to remove rear seats and almost every panel to reach rear deck speakers

Actually, I was thinking about a different amp.
The reason I don’t really want to bridge it, is because my SL60s are rated at 80w a side rms@4ohm the peak power handling is 220w! the JL is rated at 70wx4 @4ohm 100x4 @2ohm 200x2 bridged @4ohm.
200w x2 is to close for my comfort, to the SL60s peak power handling...I don’t want to blow them!

I feel your pain lol

I had to remove rear seats and almost every panel to reach rear deck speakers
Dude, I haven’t had my rear seats in for a week now...because, I was waiting for my amp kit to come in the mail, just got here yesterday, and now I gotta wait until probably next week for the speaker wire I just ordered..because the amp kit only had enough for one door.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.