Sound Deadening

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gunk

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
I'm sure there is a good write up some where on best practices and products to use for sound deadening. I've seen some posts about benefits they experienced but nothing really comprehensive as far as best practices. However, I ran into a thread on another forum where the guy is trying to make a case that sound deadening does little to no benefit. He even cites a report by Car Stereo Review that came to the same conclusion.
link to thread

I'm putting together a 1400 watt rms system in an old neon and I want some nice clean low frequency tones to come from it. I don't want to hear metal flapping and crap rattling around. After reading that thread on deadening not being effective, I'd like to see some confirmation from some people that it will help before I pull my car completely apart.

*So, if anyone can provide a link to a good guide or review of best methods or practices on this subject, I'd be super grateful.

*If you have any personal experience to share that would be cool as well.

a metal enclosure with holes in it is will perform as bad as one can imagine which is what you'll have without any door prep. Even your factory speakers will improve mid bass response and overall sound with some door prep.

Seems like they were talking about road noise mostly. Didn't read the whole thing of course.

It's my understanding which could be totally wrong that the sound deadening helped keep the sound inside the car.

Sound deadening is my next step as well.

A useful link https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
That link seems really helpful. So many pictures. I haven't read everything on there yet but thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Seems like they were talking about road noise mostly. Didn't read the whole thing of course.

It's my understanding which could be totally wrong that the sound deadening helped keep the sound inside the car.

Sound deadening is my next step as well.

A useful link https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Looks like those guys aren't in business anymore. Have you found a store where you plan on sourcing your materials for your sound deadening project?

Looks like those guys aren't in business anymore. Have you found a store where you plan on sourcing your materials for your sound deadening project?

I'm not sure tbh. I think they're all so similar it will probably come down to whichever is the best price at the time.

So, after some more research, I've been looking at 3 different products.

Anybody have any experience working with deadenig mats from Raammat, Second Skin, or ResoNix? It looks like ResoNix has the heaviest but Raammat is half the price but the butyl is half as thick. I want to sound proof and seal up my doors to be more like a sealed enclosure for my 6's. I'm wondering if that extra butyl is worth paying twice as much for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.