Sound cutting out when clutch is released.

Participant count
  • Participant list

JD Z

Hello folks. I have a retrosound Hermosa stereo with pioneer D9605 amplifier. It’s all set up and works great, except while driving I noticed that the sound cuts in and out (while driving, clutch released)...then when I press the clutch down, it works perfect. Every time the cut outs starts, I press the clutch in and it goes back to normal.
I’m thinking that the clutch safety switch is contributing for some reason. With the clutch pressed in, power flows through to allow a start. When the clutch is released, there is no power flowing through that safety switch. If this is the culprit, the problem occurs when no power is flowing through the safety switch.

I just reconnected the retro sound ground to a new location and the problem still persists. Any idea what may be happening and what to try next? Thanks.

1980 Z 28 right?
Do any of the wires run anywhere near or under the carpet around the clutch?
Years ago I had a buddy who ran his RCA's under the carpet on the drivers side
His clutch actually touched the floor when he engaged it
It ended up piercing the wires under the carpet
You should check under the dash as well
Depress the clutch and see if its coming into contact with anything

Z28 it is. The wires are well away from and above the clutch pedal that I installed. I’ll pull back the carpet and look around where the clutch goes into the motor. I’ve had so few miles on the car since the install. Not likely a wear problem. It started from after the install.

It’s clear that the safety clutch switch when activated (fully depressed) makes it go away. When the clutch is released, it starts with the cut in/out. Maybe my power source being the accessory slot on the fuse block is the problem.

I connected the red power wire from the HU to an open slot on the fuse block labeled accessory. Sounds like a good plan to try the wipers. (T-top, no sunroof). Any suggestion of how to tap into a slot that has a fuse already?

Kickstand I took your recommendation for the wiper fuse and tapped into the radio fuse instead of connecting to the open accessory slot and that did the trick. The accessory slot must have been tied to the clutch safety switch.
Thanks all!

Last edited:
Well that worked for a short drive. The sound cutting in and out is back. Again, driving with the clutch pressed in everything works. Release the clutch and drive in any gear and the sound cuts in/out. It’s very sporadic now. I can drive a few miles with no problem and then some cutting in/out starts.

Could this be an alternator problem? Other ideas on what to check?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...