Sound Characteristics of Solo vs Dual chamber boxes

Participant count
  • Participant list

Blackout67

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
This question has been burning in my mind for a few weeks now and nothing I can find really gives me a specific answer so I thought I figured I'd shoot a shot

So Dual sub set ups. You can rather make them in a single chamber that shares a common port or separated dual chamber with their own ports. The only answers I could find were mixed, "this one is better for sq, this one for SPL" and vice versa, but the most common on is that separated chambers are the best.

The way I see it is that the single chamber would have a bigger peak around the tuning frequency because, assuming they are the same sub and are getting the same signal from the same amp, it would perform like a bigger sub in a bigger box.

Example: you have two twelves each in separated chambers tuned to 32 hertz at 1.75 cubic feet. That's generally a flat curve super musical
Then on the flip side with single chambers set-ups, take a box 3.5 tuned to 32 hertz. The two subs together pretty much act as a single piston (again assuming all the same parameters), and since there are two it will act as a single driver. Wouldn't have cause a large peak in tuned frequency range vs separated? Therefore separate chambers are better for sound quality and single chamber is best for SPL?

What's your thoughts?

It could be problematic if one sub is damaged in some way,and then starts taking the other one out in the shared air space.so i have heard years ago..personally dont have any experience with it except for two 12's i ran years ago sealed in the same air space.never had a problem.AND if i were going to run two subs now,i would personally have a box that would share the same space as i have never damaged a sub.ever.

Last edited:
It could be problematic if one sub is damaged in some way,and then starts taking the other one out in the shared air space.so i have heard years ago..personally dont have any experience with it except for two 12's i ran years ago sealed in the same air space.never had a problem.AND if i were going to run two subs now,i would personally have a box that would share the same space as i have never damaged a sub.ever.
Also did read that. Also if the subwoofers were not perfectly in since, wouldn't this cause some kind of cancelation or distortion?

All things equal I very much doubt there will be any audible difference assuming you haven't sacrificed some fundamentals along the way. Separate chambers may protect the rest of the subs from over-excursion if one fails but shared chamber should allow you better options for more efficient single port. Also it is the conventional wisdom that the more sources of sound you have, the more chances you have for the waves to cancel or reinforce each other in unpredictable ways so fewer subs and ports would avoid some potential issues.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...