Small Amps Vs. Big Amps (Footprint) Same power rating

Sweepslots

CarAudio.com Newbie
Orlando
Why are amps such as a PRV 3000.1 one third of the size of say a DC audio 3.5k, but they make roughly the same size? What are the benefits of the DC audio amp?

On paper both state they make 3000 watts at 14v.

Or another popular example would be Taraamps smart 3 3k amp, what makes the DC audio worth double or even at times triple the price?

Simple explanation of differences between full and half-bridge:

Full-bridge
smaller, more efficient, less tolerant of low/high voltage and Impedance. Run the amp as rated and keep voltage above 12.4 and you will be fine.

Half-bridge
Larger, slightly less efficient, basically a battleship. Most can run 1/2 an ohm or even 1/4 ohm with good electrical.

Alot of people don't like full-bridge amps because they are used to Korean half-bridge. With a full bridge amp you cannot run it below rated Impedance, and you need good electrical. They can't take the same kind of abuse as a half-bridge due to the way they work.

Matt

Nice thanks for the resources and info, I've always been curious about this. Its like I look on amazon for example and I'm hesitant to buy an amp that claims to make 6k watts at 1 ohm, for $250 lol.

Back when I was into car audio in 2011 this was stuff like Sony xplod marketing this way for those prices, and we all know xplod amps didn't make no 6k watts.

I still went with DC Audio subs and a DC Audio 3.5k for my new F150 build anyway. Still don't trust the full bridged stuff.

I have blown 2 out of 16 Korean amps and 0 out of 13 Brazilian amps I have owned.

😂

My current full bridge amp lives at 15.8 volts and 0.66 ohm daily. Not a single hiccup.

I think they are built pretty damn good.

Yeah I currently have a PRV 6K at 2 ohm and its absolute trash there's no way its making 6k, Ive had Soundqubed 2250.1s that were probably 10x louder.

I beat the snot out of my Smart 3. Finally sold it and bought a smart 5 that I'll be installing soon. I'm not for or against full or half bridge amps. But from where I sit, it's hard to beat the price to performance of Taramps full bridge amps.

Matt

My smart 5 is fantastic but I really do like something with better Xovers. I’d had no issue with going with a half bridge but space is limited. I could probably lay things out different and do it. I’m sure with time since I like to try new things it’s exactly what I’ll eventually do 😂.

My smart 5 is fantastic but I really do like something with better Xovers. I’d had no issue with going with a half bridge but space is limited. I could probably lay things out different and do it. I’m sure with time since I like to try new things it’s exactly what I’ll eventually do 😂.

I mean I can understand the crossover issue. Taramps crossovers are pretty much hot garbage. I have a DSP now and before that I used the headunit crossovers so it didn't matter to me really.

But I can totally understand the hate on crossovers. If you were just dropping in a sub/amp with a LOC you are going to have a hell of a time.

Matt

Big amps look way cooler!

20220803_184931.jpg
20220817_195422.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...