Skar audio evl 15s popping

Itzlinux

CarAudio.com Newbie
I herd my subs popping months ago and I looked all over and everything says it’s my subsonic but ive tried setting it to half and octave below tuning but I still have popping. I’ve tried setting it a little bit higher and I still had popping so I thought maybe it was a voltage issue because I was on my stock 90 amp alt so I got a 300 amp alt. After installing the new alt I tested it and I’m still getting the popping noise and my subs get smelly. The amp is a Skar audio RP.2000.1 the Low pass is at 80hz subsonic is set at 30hz. My head unit is a kdc-x998 everything is set flat for eq, in my crossover settings I have set 24db slope 60hz frequency center. For my sub level I have +15db because I’m using the built in amp on the head unit for my speakers in the doors so my volume limit is 25 and with 15db on the sub level it’s clean. I used a dd1 to make sure it was clean signal from the rca. The box my subs are in is a Atrend 15SPLDV it’s a 6 cubic foot box 3 per chamber, center port tuned at 37.66hz. I really have no clue what’s wrong so if anyone could help that would be awesome.

Attachments

• D8185E90-196D-4C6C-9B67-94262FAC5C42.jpeg
    D8185E90-196D-4C6C-9B67-94262FAC5C42.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 72
I really have no clue what’s wrong so if anyone could help that would be awesome.
Just for shits and giggles, check the tinsel lead tie down thread. I have a pair of zvx8s that started popping. After trouble shooting, I found this thread torn (all 8) where the tinsel is closest to the cone. It gave it enough slack to slap on the cone causing an annoying popping sound at almost all power levels. Turns out the thread was made of cotton instead of nylon. Zvx is their power line, so saving pennies on that thread is quite vexing. Ended up gluing the thread to the cone with black rubber adhesive.

I got some pics of my setup I’m still having a popping issue and it’s really starting to get to me it’s pissing me off I pulled everything out and put it back in and it’s still popping

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    848.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 108
pulled everything out
Did you by chance happen to check the state of the tinsel leads? Have you done a resistance test? Also, try pulling on the dust cap edges to check ungluing. I have an amp that at around 1/8 of volume plays a signal that sounds like a loose dust cap. Does it on all subs. I turn it up or down and sound cleans up again.

Did you by chance happen to check the state of the tinsel leads? Have you done a resistance test? Also, try pulling on the dust cap edges to check ungluing. I have an amp that at around 1/8 of volume plays a signal that sounds like a loose dust cap. Does it on all subs. I turn it up or down and sound cleans up again.

I haven’t pulled the box out of my truck yet to look at the leads but I think I’m going to do that later on today I don’t think I’m overpowering it.

Update !!! My Skar 2000.1D was defective and blew up on the output section of the board. I replaced it with a PPI DCX 1500.1 everything is fixed now no pops. Take this as a grain of salt but with my experience with Skar I would say buy their subs but stay away from their mono amps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...