Simple head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Stumann666

CarAudio.com Newbie
Are there any head units that aren't so complicated?  I liked the ones that you could reach over while driving down the road and with a few simple steps, you could adjust bass, mid range, and treble.  Since no two songs are recorded the same, most songs could use a little tweaking now and then.  This new JVC I bought is nice, but it's just ridiculous the steps you have to go through to make any minor adjustments   Then those adjustments only apply to the source (FM, CD, BT, Pandora, etc.) you are listening to at the time.  Each source has it's own set of adjustments independant of the other sources.  It's overkill!!!

The JVC I use to use had tons of adjustments, including EQ, time alignment, and individual speaker level volume. All of those settings were global, so it didn't matter what source you're listening to. The only thing that was source dependent was source level adjustment, but that was set and forget. So are you sure those settings on yours are all changing based on the source selection? I'm running Pioneer now, but I figured JVC wouldn't make things that complicated.

In fact, most settings should be set and forget. Most music today is mastered correctly so you hear it as the artist intended in an ideal listening environment. Obviously a car isn't ideal, which is where the various head unit settings come in. It's also best to set those with test tones and an SPL meter (for the basic hobbyist, apps on your phone are sufficient). Once you have the system tuned for your car, the difference is night and day. I use to fiddle with those settings all the time until I did a proper tune. Now I barely change anything other than the volume or source. 

Good idea about the test tones setup.  I remember using white noise years ago for our home unit.  Part of the issue is that I'm 66 years old, most of the music I like was not mastered with today's technology.  It's hard to play an old Buddy Holly song next to a Coldplay song and expect the same quality of EQ.

You might be right about the Volume level being the only thing source dependent.  But I do notice and difference in EQ from a CD compared to Pandora compared to FM.  

Well, I tried what Mooncatt suggested.  I downloaded some sine wave tones, 40hz, 150hz, 500hz, 1000hz, 3500hz,5000hz.  I put them on a USB drive and went down to the car to try what was suggested.  I downloaded the app DB Meter Pro for my I-phone.  To my dismay, I was correct: the EQ is adjustable for each source, not a global setting.  Back to the first question, any simpler headunits out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a page of the manual confirming what I thought.

Image4.jpg

Well, I tried what Mooncatt suggested.  I downloaded some sine wave tones, 40hz, 150hz, 500hz, 1000hz, 3500hz,5000hz.  I put them on a USB drive and went down to the car to try what was suggested.  I downloaded the app DB Meter Pro for my I-phone.  To my dismay, I was correct: the EQ is adjustable for each source, not a global setting.  Back to the first question, any simpler headunits out there?
Well that stinks. Want to buy my old JVC? Lol.

I'm currently running a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS, which does have global settings except for volume control. Volume level is tied to each source, (not to be confused with source level adjustment), but it's not a huge problem. It has a lot of bells and whistles for sound tuning, so not sure if simply being a global setting would be good enough. I can understand source specific EQ settings, but I just haven't seen that as a feature before.

Would you be able to get by with two or three custom EQ memory settings? Yeah, stuff from decades ago would have mastering issues due to the limitations of the time. If two or three custom presets would work, you may still want to look at Pioneer. Mine only allows two (not sure if other units would allow more), but there's an EQ button on the source screen that goes direct to the EQ for fast and simple preset selections. 

Good idea about the test tones setup.  I remember using white noise years ago for our home unit.  Part of the issue is that I'm 66 years old, most of the music I like was not mastered with today's technology.  It's hard to play an old Buddy Holly song next to a Coldplay song and expect the same quality of EQ.

You might be right about the Volume level being the only thing source dependent.  But I do notice and difference in EQ from a CD compared to Pandora compared to FM.  
ewww get rid of pandora forever the audio quality is absolute dogsh*t on pandora.   Spotify premium has 320kbps and sounds massively better than pandora. If you have the money for it, tidal has lossless flac stream even your buddy holly is remastered on there in high resolution.  

If you get a pioneer 80 prs, you have two custom EQ curves you can save and switch to and your sound quality should massively jump over that JVC because the burr brown dacs in the 80 prs makes things sound way better out the box. 

However I normally dont recommend this but I know older cats like knobs... You can get a graphical EQ like this and play around with your heart's content this is cheaper than the 80 prs idea. https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46587_NVX-XEQ7-Graphic-Equalizer-Equivalent-to-Clarion-EQS755.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.