Signal from loc really high and amplifier in protect

Participant count
  • Participant list

JustinStone

aspiring nutrient
Florida
I think the signal out of my loc is too high. I can only turn the gain a hair off "minimum" and the subwoofer gets considerably loud. most songs with punchy bass play normal, but songs with sustained lows send the amp into protect instantaneously on the drop.
The car is a 2018 Challenger, stock head unit, using the rear deck speakers both left and right wired into the loc, loc is grounded on bare metal on the deck. loc is kicker 46KISLOC2.
Amplifier is a sundown sfb-1500, connected with a 4 gauge ofc wiring kit (the sfb has 0/1 inputs, but my connections are reduced since I'm trying to only use 700watts). The ground for the amp needs to be changed. it uses a factory location not allowing for full contact with lug and metal, but this doesn't solve the issue of why the gain can only be a hair off nothing and still play like it's hitting 200watts. maybe it's why the amp goes into protect for a minute, though. the amp is definitely acting like the sub is blown but it doesn't show any sign on being blown.
Subwoofer is an old skar svr d2 wired to 1ohm, no scratching indicating blown, played just fine in previous set up. Although after doing test tones to set the gain the amplifier only shut off after playing low bass songs.
The ground for the loc may be loose, but would that cause the gain to be so low though? I mean the gain is SO LOW but the subwoofer is considerably loud, maybe 200 watts
I don't usually mess with locs often so I'm really leaning towards that being the issue

the audio from the headunit also sounds really clipped when playing rebassed music, more than I've heard before. idk, everything about this car is giving me a headache.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...