Side wheel well ported enclosure help

Participant count
  • Participants list

mk2singh

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
Hi all

Looking for some sub box building advice
I'd like to build a new box for my car to fit in the quarter/side area of the boot to house an 8" sub and would like it to be ported
I currently have an alpine type-r 12" in a ported box which I built few years back to the alpine specs and it's been great. So would like to have a ported enclosure for the 8" and reason for it to be position on the side of the boot is to gain some boot space

Can anyone point me to some similar builds that have a small ported side enclosure? And also if there is any info that will help me design and build a side/wheel well area ported enclosure that would be much appreciated

I can help you with this. Are you going to build it out of wood?
Hi
I'll be making it out of fibreglass and wood I guess so that I can replicate the shape around the wheel arch on the side of the trunk area. It's for a VW golf MK2

If you can make the shape out of angles, I can calculate the airspace.
Ah okay. Will keep that in mind when I come to building it. Guess it makes it easier as flat faces can give lots of cubes which is easier to measure?
Would it be better to do this to calculate the correct volume that the sub requires and then see what port size is needed?

You should figure out how much space you have, look at a sub, and see if you can fit that sub in there with a proper port area.

Okay so ive done a rough measurement of the side of the boot area in the car
The deepest area is about 30cm along the bottom 40cm along the top as it curves over the wheel arch. Height wise in that area is about 40cm.
Depth - I guess I can come outboard as much as needed but obviously not half way over the boot space lol. Plan would be to make it small as possible for a good sounding ported box.
The measurement from the edge of the door opening to the bottom of the back of the seats is 60cm and tapers as it comes up to about 50cm

Hope that makes sense. If not, please let me know and I can draw it out

Sub wise ive seen either a Hertz Mille Legend 2000.3 or the cheaper alternative is the Gladen Audio SQX 8"

Please let me know what you think and if a ported box design is possible

Definitely draw it. That's always the best way to transfer box dimensional data.
Ive attached a rough drawing of the area and measurements. Is this something you can help me design then?

Attachments

• 20211009_125442.jpg
    20211009_125442.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 50
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...