should I run a second battery or upgrade stock? 4k

Participant count
  • Participant list

niners4952

CarAudio.com Newbie
DE
Be running 4k watts, have a 250 amp alt. just purchased an xspower D6500. I am doing the big 3 upgrade with 1/0, question is should I leave my stock battery and hook the xs battery near the amps or just replace the factory battery with the xs 6500?

Batteries can either power your amp or serve as a buffer between your alternator and your amp. Sounds like you want it to be a buffer, so I'd add another battery close to your amp.

I love front battery deletes but most of the time when I mention them others don't agree.
Essentially you would replace your front battery with a positive block if you will. Hook up everything that was hooked to the positive to this positive block. From there you would run a single 0 guage to the rear battery and wire your equipment directly from the battery.
I perfer this method because no matter how big of an amp you get, you will only have to run enough wire to handle youre alt output. Nothing up front is pulling enough to put serious strain on the eletrical system meanwhile your amplifier has the highest power demand. By putting the battery right next to the amp you have the best possible power delivery to your biggest load. Its a bit of a process but it is superior to other eletrical upgrades.

I love front battery deletes but most of the time when I mention them others don't agree.
Essentially you would replace your front battery with a positive block if you will. Hook up everything that was hooked to the positive to this positive block. From there you would run a single 0 guage to the rear battery and wire your equipment directly from the battery.
I perfer this method because no matter how big of an amp you get, you will only have to run enough wire to handle youre alt output. Nothing up front is pulling enough to put serious strain on the eletrical system meanwhile your amplifier has the highest power demand. By putting the battery right next to the amp you have the best possible power delivery to your biggest load. Its a bit of a process but it is superior to other eletrical upgrades.
I disagree with you here. Having an additional battery under the hood increases current capacity.

More batteries the better. Just make sure your front battery isn't resting really low, voltage wise. If it's resting low compared to your new battery, you may want to get a new front battery. Or say over time, save up and replace the front battery with some sort of AGM. As long as the resting voltages of your batteries are sort of close, you tend to be fine. I ran a stock battery with three batcap 2000's with stock alt for a while and it worked great.

I disagree with you here. Having an additional battery under the hood increases current capacity.
More batteries always means more capacity but that doesn't always mean better power delivery. I've seen the benefits of front battery deletes myself and in others. Where I live we have weekly, what we call, park and pounds. There was a guy who had 3 high output alts, more batteries than me, and 7 runs of 0 to the rear battery bank and clamping less power. His headlights were dimming and overall had eletrical issues. When he saw our rig (single alt, less batteries, clamping more power, and never having any upfront eletrical issues(headlights)) he asked us what we had and was shocked. I explained to him how to do a front battery delete and the next week everything was fixed.

More batteries always means more capacity but that doesn't always mean better power delivery. I've seen the benefits of front battery deletes myself and in others. Where I live we have weekly, what we call, park and pounds. There was a guy who had 3 high output alts, more batteries than me, and 7 runs of 0 to the rear battery bank and clamping less power. His headlights were dimming and overall had eletrical issues. When he saw our rig (single alt, less batteries, clamping more power, and never having any upfront eletrical issues(headlights)) he asked us what we had and was shocked. I explained to him how to do a front battery delete and the next week everything was fixed.
This sounds very made-up. Three alternators, but removing a battery was what he really needed? He's lucky you were there to teach him how to remove a battery.

wtf.gif

Its pretty simple. When you have a line of high output batteries in the back of your car and a stock size (probably not as good as the ones in the back) in the front, that battery starts hindering power delivery from your alternator to your main battery bank. Why not take out the middle man and send your charging power directly to the storage then have power distributed from there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.