Shop expectations?

Participant count
  • Participant list

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR
I'm taking my car into a shop to clean up Mt install, do a box swap for my subs, wire in a new amp etc...

This was all stuff I had planned to do 2 months ago but some health issues popped and don't seem to be going away.

I've never actually had a shop do anything besides build a box before (I enjoyed wiring my own stuff and making it work). I have to admit I'm a bit nervous having someone else get in there a wiring up my car.

I despise having other people touch my vehicles. Personally, I would wait till I got better.

Although, you could always inspect it afterwards and fix whatever you didn’t like.

Come up with a reasonable price that you would charge someone, then triple it.

Define "reasonable price" when the owner of the shop paid (or is in debt for) well over half a million dollars for a commercial property, tools, and inventory and has probably 20 grand a month in overhead between maintenance, taxes, payroll, advertising, professional services, etc. etc. etc.

The quote wasn't bad. I went to all the shops in person for quotes and they were all in the ballpark I had figured it'd cost. The shop I got the appointment with was a bit higher than the other 2 shops here, but the owner definitely seemed more knowledgeable by the questions he was asking me and it's the only shop that really has experience with taramps amps (I'm running a bass 3k a ts400x4 atm and the 3rd amp is another ts400x4). I'm probably just paranoid...but I'm worried my car is gonna burn down letting a stranger play with the electrical 🤣

Last edited:
I despise having other people touch my vehicles. Personally, I would wait till I got better.

Although, you could always inspect it afterwards and fix whatever you didn’t like.
I tried waiting and I'm not as bad off as I was but the doc said I'm about where I'm gonna be. I'll definitely be looking things over when it's done.

The quote wasn't bad. I went to all the shops in person for quotes and they were all in the ballpark I had figured it'd cost. The shop I got the appointment with was a bit higher than the other 2 shops here, but the owner definitely seemed more knowledgeable by the questions he was asking me and it's the only shop that really has experience with taramps amps (I'm running a bass 3k a ts400x4 atm and the 3rd amp is another ts400x4). I'm probably just paranoid...but I'm worried my car is gonna burn down letting a stranger play with the electrical 🤣

Curious…how much did they quote you?

The clean up part is primarily tucking wires in a few spots I didn't get around to and swapping the CCA wire I got running my mids and highs with copper

Last edited:
Define "reasonable price" when the owner of the shop paid (or is in debt for) well over half a million dollars for a commercial property, tools, and inventory and has probably 20 grand a month in overhead between maintenance, taxes, payroll, advertising, professional services, etc. etc. etc.
I meant exactly what I said. All the variables you listed is why I said to triple it. Calm down.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...