Series-parallel wiring and sub heat/smell

Just based off your math, you might be tuned in the mid 30’s somewhere (roughly). It seems weird to me that the cone stops moving at that low frequency. What’s your subsonic set at? Seems like the subs may unload trying to play 28 hz with where you may tuned, so idk, I would think they might be moving a good bit. Something here seems off to me.

I do know for sure your port area seems quite big for the size of the box and power, for sure.
Subsonic is at 25 I believe. I did test it with the tailgate open so the port would having just been firing out into open air. Sounds like I need to have another box built with a smaller port, preferably in the center so its equal distance between the subs.

Subsonic is at 25 I believe. I did test it with the tailgate open so the port would having just been firing out into open air. Sounds like I need to have another box built with a smaller port, preferably in the center so its equal distance between the subs.

I can definitely help out with that!

So does Dave use unicon tears or pixie dust to make his 2.5" coils hold 1000W of heat?

I think the Sundown Sa’s are 1000w with 2.5” coils iirc. I think Deaf Bonce has some woofers like that, too. I’ve seen more recently a few woofers that have 2.5” coils and like 1000w power ratings. I’ve wondered about cooling, as well. Do you think it’s not a big enough coil?

That seems odd to me. If you have that much power and that big of a port, seems to be those subs would be flopping around below tuning frequency. 28 hz is low but it’s not THAT low, a lot of subs will play that.

I think the Sundown Sa’s are 1000w with 2.5” coils iirc. I think Deaf Bonce has some woofers like that, too. I’ve seen more recently a few woofers that have 2.5” coils and like 1000w power ratings. I’ve wondered about cooling, as well. Do you think it’s not a big enough coil?
"Cooling" is largely a meme and I'd wager best case scenario would be no difference than 10% difference.

The larger cone (possibly latest model?) SA series are 2 3/4" coil, the 2.5" coil ones on their site are sill only claiming 750W power handling. I've spoken with Jacob at length about how "power handling" should be defined and at least some years back when we spoke he and I were in agreement there. I would generally consider Sundown ratings to be very honest, and I've only seen perhaps one or two that seemed optimistic but I'd reserve judgement until I could test for myself. OR to put another way, anybody selling a sub with similar coil to a Sundown product with a higher power rating is exaggerating.

That aside, the "rule of thumb" with this sort of thing has generally been 100W X coil diameter in inches X number of layers is going to be your continuous thermal power handling. That comes second from the engineers at Eminence which is a reputable source IMO. Of course that doesn't account for if you have say an underhung woofer with 1/2" wind width coil or similar that probably won't hold true, but it's a good ballpark and I find it very accurate in predicting true long term thermal capacity of coils in modern high powered subwoofers.

Quick and dirty with Torres, that port area per foot is awfully high. Effective port length is almost 40" btw. I get like 6.5ft3 tuned mid-30's.

I think at around 28hz your cone control is gone probably.

So does Dave use unicon tears or pixie dust to make his 2.5" coils hold 1000W of heat?
I wouldn't know. I'm certainly not an expert and have no way of knowing if they are exaggerating. The website claims they use different parts, like a stiffer spider and extended length voice coil. If the 1000 watts is bullsh*t, then I got took, because I doubt they'll take them back.

The port parts you measured are reflected in the physical port length in the calc. Its measured down the center /w/ end correction.
Quick and dirty with Torres, that port area per foot is awfully high. Effective port length is almost 40" btw. I get like 6.5ft3 tuned mid-30's.

View attachment 32981

I think at around 28hz your cone control is gone probably.
Would that make sense if the cone starts moving again below 28hz? As I went down from 28 or up from 30 the cone would start noticeably moving again.

"Cooling" is largely a meme and I'd wager best case scenario would be no difference than 10% difference.

The larger cone (possibly latest model?) SA series are 2 3/4" coil, the 2.5" coil ones on their site are sill only claiming 750W power handling. I've spoken with Jacob at length about how "power handling" should be defined and at least some years back when we spoke he and I were in agreement there. I would generally consider Sundown ratings to be very honest, and I've only seen perhaps one or two that seemed optimistic but I'd reserve judgement until I could test for myself. OR to put another way, anybody selling a sub with similar coil to a Sundown product with a higher power rating is exaggerating.

That aside, the "rule of thumb" with this sort of thing has generally been 100W X coil diameter in inches X number of layers is going to be your continuous thermal power handling. That comes second from the engineers at Eminence which is a reputable source IMO. Of course that doesn't account for if you have say an underhung woofer with 1/2" wind width coil or similar that probably won't hold true, but it's a good ballpark and I find it very accurate in predicting true long term thermal capacity of coils in modern high powered subwoofers.

How is cooling a meme? Like Sundown has all sorts of vents for their woofers. 10% less heat is a significant difference, I would think. Like are pole vents a meme? I'm just trying to understand what you mean. I know some venting is for pressure release in some tight areas, but it seems like there's some serious machining that goes into making vent holes for heat dissipation. Are you saying some of the venting for heat is ineffective or used to drive up woofer prices or something like that?

That's very interesting, I've never heard that before. I may try to use that in the future to see how woofers pan out/compare to each other.

Would that make sense if the cone starts moving again below 28hz? As I went down from 28 or up from 30 the cone would start noticeably moving again.

That doesn't make sense to me, at all. If your port tuning is in the mid 30's, then I would totally think those woofers would be flapping around at 28 hz, unless you have some sort of cab resonance that's causing a lot of loading. How loud is it at 28 hz vs 35-40 hz?

Somethings off and not making sense the way you describe that. It should have least excursion around tuning. The box is unloading at lower frequencies tho im sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...