updated thread - ported SLD 10 vs ...?

Participant count
  • Participant list
How much power were you feeding it sealed & what was box volume? I have yet to hear good 8s so I'm skeptical of their low end capability
Hahaha. I had it on a 1400 Rms amp, but I set the gains right. It was in 1 cube ported at 30 HZ and sounded incredible. I was testing it on a few metal songs and when I switched to a rap tune I didn’t turn down the volume. Dumb move.

hey all, been awhile but I'm back with a new vehicle and a new project. Last project was my first box build which turned out fantastic (shoutout @fithwheel & @THATpurpleKUSH for the help on that build), that has since been passed on to a friend since it won't fit in my new truck. Working with limited space and an AudioControl lc-1.800 for power (800@2ohm 500@4ohm). For reference, my absolute favorite sub at this time is an SVS SB1000 - so I'm trying to replicate that in a mobile enclosure as much as possible.

So far these are the possibilities I've come up with:
  • two SD4-10s wired to 2 ohm load for 400RMS each in .5-.7 sealed enclosure (or a single on 500w 4ohm load may be enough)
  • single dayton HO 10 in .55 sealed wedge (they sound power hungry, maybe run on 2 ohms and keep levels down a little to have access to full 800?)
  • single dayton HO 10 with matching passive radiator tossed in enclosure volume TBD there - don't have ability to model in winISD at the moment
Any other suggestions, please let me know. I've looked at some of the true shallow mounts like the newish pioneer z-series 10, but I can't find any solid reviews or feedback on those. I love that low end grunt and SPL I achieved with my last build, but at the end of the day this little SVS sub has given me a new appreciation for SQ & how clean bass can sound no matter the volume in a sealed enclosure while still digging deep. Attached the graph of that sub for reference.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Under seat of a crew cab, behind the seat of a standard cab, or a blow though?

We’re you using a subsonic filter with the ported alignment for the Ultimax? Subwoofers will unload (lose control/act like free-air) below tuning frequency of the enclosure. This will happen with any sub. Usually a subsonic filter is applied to control cone movement below tuning freq.

This does not occur with sealed alignments.

***UPDATE***

Just scored two 10 jltw3's on offerup for 125 a piece. Lady got in a car accident so the grills are toast and dust caps have little dents/imprints from the grill caving in she only had them held down with velcro so they flew... but they both read good on the multimeter. Will see if I can get these little wedges to fit for now

***UPDATE***

Just scored two 10 jltw3's on offerup for 125 a piece. Lady got in a car accident so the grills are toast and dust caps have little dents/imprints from the grill caving in she only had them held down with velcro so they flew... but they both read good on the multimeter. Will see if I can get these little wedges to fit for now

Wow, what a catch!!! That's a story right there lol, hopefully they work, that'd be a great catch, I think.

Wow, what a catch!!! That's a story right there lol, hopefully they work, that'd be a great catch, I think.
yep, only catch is these are 4ohm DVC so with the amp I have coming I can only wire these to a 4 ohm load so ~250rms a piece so guess we'll see how they do on that. Worst case have something to hold me over and will easily get my money back out of them. Ran both on my roommates amp and they sound fine no tick/rattle/mechanical noises. Slight air leak on one of them but sounds like it's the surround where there's a tiny crack where the grill was mounted. Should be an easy fix

yep, only catch is these are 4ohm DVC so with the amp I have coming I can only wire these to a 4 ohm load so ~250rms a piece so guess we'll see how they do on that. Worst case have something to hold me over and will easily get my money back out of them. Ran both on my roommates amp and they sound fine no tick/rattle/mechanical noises. Slight air leak on one of them but sounds like it's the surround where there's a tiny crack where the grill was mounted. Should be an easy fix

Yeah, post up how it goes, maybe people can help with any issues that you have.

That amp isn't one ohm stable?

Lol found one of the sources of air I was hearing, looks like they were running a custom port mod on the JL wedge. Might stick one of those metal straws in it and try to get it tuned a bit lower :ROFLMAO:

Also found one of them had the terminals broken off inside so it's a nice ghetto home soldering job on the jumpers. Still sounded fine on a quick test minus the air noise & reads right at 2ohms on the meter can't get individual readings unless I break out the soldering iron. The one that still has the push terminals read just over 4 on both voice coils

Attachments

• 16278660399368011840747024548092.jpg
    16278660399368011840747024548092.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...