updated thread - ported SLD 10 vs ...?

Participant count
  • Participant list

strobe

CarAudio.com Regular
Sugon
hey all, been awhile but I'm back with a new vehicle and a new project. Last project was my first box build which turned out fantastic (shoutout @fithwheel & @THATpurpleKUSH for the help on that build), that has since been passed on to a friend since it won't fit in my new truck. Working with limited space and an AudioControl lc-1.800 for power (800@2ohm 500@4ohm). For reference, my absolute favorite sub at this time is an SVS SB1000 - so I'm trying to replicate that in a mobile enclosure as much as possible.

So far these are the possibilities I've come up with:
  • two SD4-10s wired to 2 ohm load for 400RMS each in .5-.7 sealed enclosure (or a single on 500w 4ohm load may be enough)
  • single dayton HO 10 in .55 sealed wedge (they sound power hungry, maybe run on 2 ohms and keep levels down a little to have access to full 800?)
  • single dayton HO 10 with matching passive radiator tossed in enclosure volume TBD there - don't have ability to model in winISD at the moment
Any other suggestions, please let me know. I've looked at some of the true shallow mounts like the newish pioneer z-series 10, but I can't find any solid reviews or feedback on those. I love that low end grunt and SPL I achieved with my last build, but at the end of the day this little SVS sub has given me a new appreciation for SQ & how clean bass can sound no matter the volume in a sealed enclosure while still digging deep. Attached the graph of that sub for reference.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Attachments

• svs.PNG
    svs.PNG
    16.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
JL 13tw5v2 is the only one I can recommend as far as shallow mounts go @LsGuy

They work well ported. Most shallow mounts are garbage sounding, IMO.

Post up the full space you have, I will look at it and see if I can see anything sub-wise that might help, if you want.

***edit- not the 13tw5, check 10tw3, my bad- going from memory

Last edited:
If you go sealed, I would really pay attention to your Qtc and even more so the Fc/Fsc. You don't want a high Fsc in a sealed box, IMO. I would aim for a Fsc of at least 45 hz, or lower. The best sounding sealed subs I've ever heard have Fsc's of 35-40 hz, but those are usually big woofers with big Mms's, and you've got to watch the Qtc as you go up in sealed size. There's gotta be a balance; it's largely woofer dependent. The right woofer in sealed really matters, IMO.

Check out Adire Audio.

Post up the full space you have, I will look at it and see if I can see anything sub-wise that might help, if you want.

the JL 13 is cool, but I'm not spending $850 on a driver ... the space I have is a bit tricky due to the brace & window motor on my back wall, but I know I can get at least .55 for two or near 1ft for a single. I'm pretty set on sticking to a sealed driver this time around. I've attached a pic a wedge a well known builder in the tacoma community(mr marv) has made for reference. I've talked to him a couple times and may still have him build the enclosure when I decide on driver, but I got word it might be a pretty long wait and was really hoping to finish this project sooner than estimated times.

As for depth and what I can fit, others have fit an IDQ10 (5.8"), but it also depends on the thickness of the magnet because of the bracing cutout.

Attachments

• marv_example.PNG
    marv_example.PNG
    286.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I design stuff like that all of the time. That looks like some high quality building!

What kind of maximum mounting depth do you have?
yea his build quality is top notch for sure, I know anything I make won't compare in quality, just weighing out options at this point. I'd say the dayton HO at 5.5 is about the deepest I feel safe with going for. The builds he did for the IDQ had part of the back wall trimmed down which I know I wouldn't have the tools to accomplish properly

I actually run the 10tw3, there is also the 12tw3. 13tw5 are the ones you had designed a ported box for and they didn't like it.

I actually run the 10tw3, there is also the 12tw3. 13tw5 are the ones you had designed a ported box for and they didn't like it.
I just found a 12tw3 in the wedge box local to me on fbmarket. Guy said he'll take 200 so gonna go check it out tomorrow & make sure it at least reads clean on my meter. I know the box won't fit with the seat up but it'd be a decent place to start and see how it does. I can't bring myself to pay msrp on the JL stuff

The ultimax line is the best sealed sub Dayton carries I think, but a lot of them are out of stock.
the ultimax looks sweet, if the 10 was in stock I'd order one right now and sort the rest out later. See quite a few reviews on the 8s failing without being overpowered though

the ultimax looks sweet, if the 10 was in stock I'd order one right now and sort the rest out later. See quite a few reviews on the 8s failing without being overpowered though
Yeah. I didn’t read the reviews, but I pushed the 8 too far myself. It did fine sealed, but in a ported box I lost control of it in a big way. It was fine sealed though.

Yeah. I didn’t read the reviews, but I pushed the 8 too far myself. It did fine sealed, but in a ported box I lost control of it in a big way. It was fine sealed though.
How much power were you feeding it sealed & what was box volume? I have yet to hear good 8s so I'm skeptical of their low end capability

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...