Screws for box

Yes predrill. And I'm with heresy I use bolts and t nuts also. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You can't see the t-buts because they are underneath the face of the board where the subs sit and the bolts look no worse than screw heads if not completely the same.

Originally posted by Jon403 I'm mounting 3 10w6 jls on the front of a box made of 3/4" MDF and I was wondering what size screws I should use? Does it matter if they go through the MDF? Should I predrill the holes for the screws?
3/4" - any size.

No.

Yes.

Bolts and t-nuts are the way to go //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve

Sorry I don't really understand the t-nut thing, its sounds like a great idea so could someone explain it to me. The bolt you use has little progs by the head right? And so do you have the head on the inside of the box with the nut on the outside? Any help is appreciated, pictures would be great also.

Nevermind I think i got it. Tell me if this is right. So it is a nut with prongs on it. And you get it stuck to the inside side of the mdf where the pre drilled hole is, then you can just thread the bolt through and tighten it down and this leads to easy installation and removal? What length and diameter bolts/nuts should I use?

Usually I keep it to the length of the bolts to about the thickness of the material they are going through, sometimes a little shorter. The diameter of the bolts should be about the same diameter of the holes used to mount the subs. Notice how I use the word "about" a lot. This isn't a science(at least not this part); as long as air isn't able to get passed the bolts/tnuts, it works.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.