School bus boom factory design

Participant count
  • Participant list

Manchild

CarAudio.com Newbie
USofA
TL;DR - I've got a bus, want mega sound, custom enclosures mounted to ceiling, see actual questions at the bottom.

Greetings, new here, have spent the last few weeks reading/watching/contemplating. I've recently acquired a Type-A School Bus (1999 Ford E350 Super Duty, SRW). The bus is getting a 4x4 conversion and 6" lift done to sit on 35's. Inside will be chocks for a BMW GSA and a KTM 450 Timbersled, fold out bunk beds and several other fixings for an overland rig that will be deep into the backcountry. I like music, all kinds. I especially like electronic, rock, hip hop, and jazz. I really like feeling my music. Currently the bus has zero car audio of any kind. I plan on installing a bluetooth receiver (no deck), and maybe a 3.5 aux in.

The question then becomes, maximizing space to achieve mega sound. When I get the bus back I can get dimensions and curve profiles of the ceiling, but I'm thinking of doing two separate enclosures, one on either side of the ceiling mounted AC unit (see photo). There is a tremendous amount of cubic space inside the bus, roughly 500cf. Logistically speaking, it would be ideal to house a 6x9 or similar in the same enclosure as the sub, albeit interior space would be separate. Up front I'd probably do a set of 4x10's mounted into the headliner facing down towards the dash.

So, questions are as follow, apologies for the text wall above.
-Instead of doing two 12's, would it be better to have one 12 and one 10 to broaden the range of bass? The enclosures will be separate.
-Can I, as long as the internal space is separate, also mount a 6x9 or similar speaker in the same subwoofer enclosure?
-With more than 500cubic feet of interior space, what type of enclosure would you recommend to fill the room? I will have roughly 24x24x12" of exterior space for each enclosure (possibly 24x36x12).
-Recommendations for the above setup (either two 12's, and two 6x9s, or one 12, one 10, and two 6x9s, AND amp) for $500-600? I can build the enclosure and have plenty of sheetstock to enclosure cost will be negligible.
-On the enclosure, I would assume that it matters less with a sub which way it is facing (the floor vs towards the listener). Ideally I'd like the subs to face the floor (it'll be mounted to the ceiling) and the 6x9s facing forward toward the driver. Is this reasonable?
-There are steel ribs all along the length of the bus. I plan on mounting the enclosures directly to said ribs. Will a layer of dynamat or similar be sufficient to mitigate vibration noise?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4253.JPG
    IMG_4253.JPG
    694.7 KB · Views: 79
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.