Right front speaker crackles and cuts out

Sinner13

CarAudio.com Recruit
Nj
I installed nvx v series components a couple weeks ago and they were sounding great until last week. The right front started making crackling sounds and it didn't matter if volume was low or high. I did a quick Google search and read that it's most likely a bad connection, I checked the amp and crossover bc they are easy to get to while I was on break and they were good so I disconnected the right front from my amp to not do any further damage.
I contacted nvx support and this is what they said

Please be sure all of your connections are not shorting out. A good way to test this is to put a multi meter on continuity test and put your probes on the speaker leads as well as ground. If you have continuity, then there is a short in the speaker wires (must be disconnected from the signal source). If everything there checks out, push on the speakers cone to see if there is any coil rub, if not we will need to test the signal source with a different speaker to see if it does the same thing.

Saturday I had some time so I pulled the door panel hoping to find that the crimp on spades I used wore at fault but no they are good. I pushed on the speaker and there is no rubbing and feels smooth. I than plugged another speakers in and it wasn't crackling and sounded fine. So I put the nvx back in and it was fine. I went on a drive for a while and no issues.
Than on Sunday I started to drive and noticed the right side wasn't playing at all. I turned the volume up and it kicked on. After a little while it shut off again and today I heard it crackle a little and it turned on and off a couple of times on my 20min ride to work.
I'm not having this happen on any other channels of the amp only right front.
When I have time was going to check voltages at all connections on that channel when it cuts out.

Could it be a bad channel on the amp or maybe the crossover?
The amp is a JL 300/4

I installed nvx v series components a couple weeks ago and they were sounding great until last week. The right front started making crackling sounds and it didn't matter if volume was low or high. I did a quick Google search and read that it's most likely a bad connection, I checked the amp and crossover bc they are easy to get to while I was on break and they were good so I disconnected the right front from my amp to not do any further damage.
I contacted nvx support and this is what they said

Please be sure all of your connections are not shorting out. A good way to test this is to put a multi meter on continuity test and put your probes on the speaker leads as well as ground. If you have continuity, then there is a short in the speaker wires (must be disconnected from the signal source). If everything there checks out, push on the speakers cone to see if there is any coil rub, if not we will need to test the signal source with a different speaker to see if it does the same thing.

Saturday I had some time so I pulled the door panel hoping to find that the crimp on spades I used wore at fault but no they are good. I pushed on the speaker and there is no rubbing and feels smooth. I than plugged another speakers in and it wasn't crackling and sounded fine. So I put the nvx back in and it was fine. I went on a drive for a while and no issues.
Than on Sunday I started to drive and noticed the right side wasn't playing at all. I turned the volume up and it kicked on. After a little while it shut off again and today I heard it crackle a little and it turned on and off a couple of times on my 20min ride to work.
I'm not having this happen on any other channels of the amp only right front.
When I have time was going to check voltages at all connections on that channel when it cuts out.

Could it be a bad channel on the amp or maybe the crossover?
The amp is a JL 300/4

I would make new connections at the speaker just to rule that out for sure. I doubt it's the amp IMO. You might have some bare speaker wire somewhere on the run from the speaker to the amp.

It cut out on my way home from work and stayed out till I got home. So I grabbed my meter and was getting 9v from both the left and right outputs. I than checked the crossover and had 9v at input but zero at the woofer and tweeter outputs. I plugged in a crossover I had sitting around and it did the same. So I switched the rca and it still was only playing out the left. Finally I disconnected the front right speaker wire from the amp and put it in the rear right and it's playing fine now.
So the front right channel on my amp is bad.
Good thing I don't like the rear speakers I got so I can just use the rear channels for the front for now lol.
Thanks guys

It cut out on my way home from work and stayed out till I got home. So I grabbed my meter and was getting 9v from both the left and right outputs. I than checked the crossover and had 9v at input but zero at the woofer and tweeter outputs. I plugged in a crossover I had sitting around and it did the same. So I switched the rca and it still was only playing out the left. Finally I disconnected the front right speaker wire from the amp and put it in the rear right and it's playing fine now.
Good thing I don't like the rear speakers I got so I can just use the rear channels for the front for now lol.
Thanks guys

Idk what the ohm load of the nvx speakers are but JL slash 300/4 are notorious for hating 2ohm loads. I've got a bad one in storage that was passed to me in a deal that does the same thing.

Thanks guys
Nice find. Its a shame you have an issue with the amplifier. At least you can still run it in 3 ch mode.LOL.

Now my front right channel just died lol
I just ordered the audio legion al110.4

I guess this is what happens when u use 20+ year old equipment

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...