Right amp for the Right subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

Heresy
10+ year member

Going Against the Grain
Arizona
I just got 2 MTX Thunder4000 4 ohm 12' subs. I'm looking at hooking them up to a Audiobahn A8001D 800w 1ch Class D Amp. Is this a good idea or is there something else that would substitute better? I can get Audiobahn amps cheap but I don't know the track record or how it will pair with the subs I have.

I would suggest going with the MTX Thunder 4250 class d amplifier, it will give your subs 350watts rms if you parrallel the 2 subs. The thunder 4000 subs will not handle the 800watts rms(400 each) that the Audiobahn 8001D will give them. The mtx 4250D is designed to run the thunder 4000 subs, so it should give you the best possible performance.

well, the audiobahn amp would work. however, if you run it,make sure that your gain is down. if not, and you try to crank it, kiss your subs goodbye. i think they mtx that was mentioned before would be a better bet too. MTX makes their amps to run their subs and makes their subs to run off their amps. ive heard straight mtx sytems and thet bumped lik crazy. but, either would work

$600 for is aweful pricey for what you get with that amp.

MTX 4000 12's are rated @ 200W RMS. I'd go with a less costly lower power amp.

Harrison Labs makes a 2ohm 400W mono class d amp for $300 and 800W for $350.

Do some more shopping and save a bundle o cash.

the kicker zr360 or the zr600 amp would be a good choice

they can be bridge to 2 ohm mono they also have

plug in module (swx) so you can send a low pass

signal to your subs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.