COMPLETED RFR 3110 Recone Kit

Participant count
  • Participants list
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimmjoww

CarAudio.com Veteran
I have a 3110 punch power sub, it's an hx2. Looking for a Recone or just a coil spider kit. Coil is a dual 2 ohm 4" VC. They were rated to 1k rms. If anyone has something they know will work, I would be interested in that as well. Thanks

Measure the spider landing on the frame. If you have the coil measure the winding height, inside diameter of the coil, and outside diameter at the windings. If you no longer have the coil you will need to measure the top plate opening size, pole piece outside diameter, and gap depth. With this info it will be easy to find parts that work.

Measure the spider landing on the frame. If you have the coil measure the winding height, inside diameter of the coil, and outside diameter at the windings. If you no longer have the coil you will need to measure the top plate opening size, pole piece outside diameter, and gap depth. With this info it will be easy to find parts that work.
Thanks brother. I will get that done tonight. I heated the glue on the surround at the frame and it pulled right up no damage, same for the dust cap. I am going to cut around the voice coil at the cone tonight. I should have that info later.

Ok here is what I got. I cant find my calipers but I used my fine rule.
Coil ID - 3-5/16"
Coil OD - 4-3/16"
Coil Length - 2"
Complete Former Length - 3-3/4"
Spider Width - 8-5/16"
Cone height is - 1-3/4"
The former could be a 1/2" longer as the cone glued to the top. I did tear the cone and the butyl rubber surround is shot. I found the failure as well, one of the tinsel leads burnt up in the spider. So it will need a complete recone minus the dust cap which I got off without a hitch. After I removed the surround I noticed it looked a little dry rotted it places, and the cone was uber brittle. What do you think dj?

Last edited:
If you were to get the whole kit intact, would you be able to build a drop in recone kit?

Ok here is what I got. I cant find my calipers but I used my fine rule.
Coil ID - 3-5/16"
Coil OD - 4-3/16"
Coil Length - 2"
Complete Former Length - 3-3/4"
Spider Width - 8-5/16"
Cone height is - 1-3/4"
The former could be a 1/2" longer as the cone glued to the top. I did tear the cone and the butyl rubber surround is shot. I found the failure as well, one of the tinsel leads burnt up in the spider. So it will need a complete recone minus the dust cap which I got off without a hitch. After I removed the surround I noticed it looked a little dry rotted it places, and the cone was uber brittle. What do you think dj?

my guess is you used a normal ruler, I should of said this before a caliper is really needed but let’s go by for now what you got.

ID of coil - 3.312

OD of coil - 4.187

Spider 8.312” for this you can use an 8.35” spider.

on the coil something doesn’t seem right to me. You sure the windings are 3/4” thick!? Measure that again to confirm and I can pick you out parts to work. If you could take a pic of the coil and post it that would be perfect! Put a ruler over the top of the former and then across the bottom like the top.

Yeah, I am in the same boat as you. I have a pair of rfr3110 subs with sagging spiders. Since djdilliodon! is a sub builder, I wonder if he could build a drop in kit. I think there would be some interest in such kits.

In order to build a drop in kit, I would need a motor and frame in hand to do so. Labor cost if no custom modifications are being done is usually $75 if all parts are provided. The killer is the shipping. This is why most of the rebuilds I do (unless it’s big dollar subs or motors being built) are mostly local.

my guess is you used a normal ruler, I should of said this before a caliper is really needed but let’s go by for now what you got.

ID of coil - 3.312

OD of coil - 4.187

Spider 8.312” for this you can use an 8.35” spider.

on the coil something doesn’t seem right to me. You sure the windings are 3/4” thick!? Measure that again to confirm and I can pick you out parts to work. If you could take a pic of the coil and post it that would be perfect! Put a ruler over the top of the former and then across the bottom like the top.
former is 3.75" and 2" of that height is coil
oops I see it lol, coil id is 3-15/16, left out the 1

former is 3.75" and 2" of that height is coil
oops I see it lol, coil id is 3-15/16, left out the 1

ok this makes way more sense now 🤣. Now before shooting off parts here you will need to be aware of a couple things. You will have to cut the spider for the coil to fit as an 8.35” spiders I have no clue where you can get it. Normally 4” coil builds 10” spiders are much more commonly used. You will need a 8.35” x3” coil opening. Then cut it yourself. You will have to do the same for the cone as well. If you are comfortable with all this I’ll show you some parts that will work.

ok this makes way more sense now 🤣. Now before shooting off parts here you will need to be aware of a couple things. You will have to cut the spider for the coil to fit as an 8.35” spiders I have no clue where you can get it. Normally 4” coil builds 10” spiders are much more commonly used. You will need a 8.35” x3” coil opening. Then cut it yourself. You will have to do the same for the cone as well. If you are comfortable with all this I’ll show you some parts that will work.
super comfortable with it, and thanks for the help.

For the cone https://thelordofbass.com/product/10-subwoofer-cone-2-5-vcid-copy/

Spider, none are available in the size you need but luckily for you I have one left. It’s an 8.35” x 3” dual layer nomex with dual sewn flat leads use Tex70 thread. It’s progressive roll and can do $30shipped priority mail. If you need a dust cap I have some extra 6” dry carbon fiber ones. Add $10 if you want one.

coil, https://thelordofbass.com/product/rockford-fosgate-4-dual-2-ohm-voice-coil/ be aware this is an aluminum wire coil. Regular solder isn’t gonna work! You will need to use flux along with solder made to work with aluminum to copper. You should also have a soldering station or at the minimum a decent soldering iron. You may have to trim the top of the coil, it’s unlikely but always be prepared for this. I use a large diameter pipe cutter for this but it can be trimmed in many ways. Do not use any type of snips as you will run the risk of bending the coil.

Oh I forgot to add a pic of spider and dust cap lol.

Attachments

• 5BD61DC0-D64E-40A1-BD5B-198394B8281C.jpeg
    5BD61DC0-D64E-40A1-BD5B-198394B8281C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • A03BD204-1F83-4426-84C2-E1B1799879BE.jpeg
    A03BD204-1F83-4426-84C2-E1B1799879BE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...