Review or the Cerwin Vega Vmax 12 (newer style)

Participant count
  • Participants list

mugen08
10+ year member

Win aplenty
Well I bought this sub for 140 dollars at a swap meet, and decided to give it a try.

This dude is rated at 500 wrms, and the ported enclosure size is recommended at around 2.2 cubes.

I have mine in a boz that is around 1.2 net, with a 4" PVC as a port. It is powered by a memphis 500 and tuned to around 34hz.

Well when I forst got the sub I had a long secction of pvc and started from there. At first it was probably tuned to 20 or so hs. This is in a civic with the back seat up. At this point the lows sounded incredible. Dug down deeper than any sub I had heard, this was a heavenly sound. The problem was there was no output anywhere else. I am convinced this is due to the fact that the box is way way too small. I believe typically a small box makes a sub very peaky.

Long story short, i trimmed the port 1 inch at a time until the super lows became noticeably muffled, but still sounded good. This gave me a satisfactory range, with the sound being a bit peaky around 34 hz and tapering sharply, especially as the hz go down.

However, this sub sounds very very good for what it is, and plays most any music well, especially rap.

I believe if I built a proper box for this sub, I would be extermely happpy with it. I was also tld it could handle 1,000wrms, which I can't attest to.

All in all, it is satisfyingly loud and plays the low lows very well. Excellent all around sub.

In the past I have had Incriminator audio subs, several different kickers from comp to L5;s, and I can tell you that after hearing all of those this one did not disappoint me.

I think 2 of these on 1,000 watts in a ported box of the right size, tuned to 34 hz with 2-4" aeros, would be too much for my car because this one ticles my ears to the point of discomfort.

My .02

Moog

Last edited by a moderator:
At first it was probably tuned to 20 or so Hz. This is in a Civic with the back seat up. At this point the lows sounded incredible. Dug down deeper than any sub I had heard.. this was a heavenly sound.
Better known as bone crunching "Vega Bass"! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

I love this sub
I still run 1 15" Old School CV 'Vega' series from 1999 & love it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

Low & Loud! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/omg.gif.05aa02c3095d6ce9338996654eca0863.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.