Review of JVC x340bts el cheapo active head unit

Participant count
  • Participants list

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Review of Head Unit:

Post name, details and review of the equipment you're reviewing. This forum is for reviews only! No questions should be posted!

JVC x340bts 80 dollar (got my buddy's for 50) during a sale.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rE7U8r4jLEV/p_105KDX340B/JVC-KD-X340BTS.html

So before I put it in my buddy's car I decided to try it out on my car. Off the batt even before tuning anything I noticed the overall out the box untuned sound was better than my 80 prs when it was out the box untuned...What the FK?!?!?!?! Key main differences, The JVC has literally no sibilance, highs are much smoother but the top end sparkle is not as good as the 80 prs. The 80 prs has stronger highs but it can cause things to sound harsh easy and requires EQ cuts. Overall midrange is fuller than the 80 prs, midbass is strong and sub bass is strong as well.

After tuning, I found that the 80 prs cant achieve the same level of midrange fullness of the JVC even with lots of tuning however with the JVC, its lacking the top end sparkle 10khz and up but both still sound really good.

The active crossovers are on point, easy to switch between network and standard mode.

Time alignment is on point as well, literally didnt even have to measure, Just changed values until the vocals were centered, super easy time alignment tune.

The unit actually has speaker level control which is really nice as well, you can control individual left and right mid/tweeter or front/rear speaker levels and you can literally set the gain a bit higher high and use those options as a gain adjustment instead of having to go back to the amp.

The usually sound effects sh*t that kenwood and JVC usually has actually doesn't help anything at all on this unit compared to the kenwood x373 I tried on another setup that actually made things sound great. On this unit it actually makes the things sound horrible in both mines and my buddy's car. The space enhancer, sound lift, sound response... etc... The setup sounds way better with all of that off.

One thing I did notice and REALLY REALLY liked was, the bluetooth on his head unit is fking magnificent. There's literally almost zero loss. I didnt even have to adjust SLA to match the USB's output, the output was near identical. This thing totally destroys the 80 PRS in terms of bluetooth sound quality and performance, like smashed out of the ballpark good holy fk balls.

The FM, radio on this unit is cr@p in comparison, the 80 prs actually has better radio reception and sound quality. The FM radio on this jvc is weak and get static pretty easily.

On my buddy's setup which is a stock 2007 accord with stock speakers and a 5 channel boston acoustics amp i scored for 20 dollars and eventually adding a 12w3v2 sub when we get the box built, It was literally day and night with the clarity increase even without any tune on flat EQ, After fully tuned Sound stage was really good, you can literally hear the artist move left and right, instruments all at eye level on the dash. No signs of sibilance, pretty detailed all around in the midrange and good midbass and plays strong sub bass as well with a 40hz -18 db high pass. Literally this system will sh*t on most average joe aftermarket setups in terms of sound quality. AKA guys that just buy a random head unit with bass mid and treble or 8 band EQ or lower and some sub - 200 dollar components and just slap them on the door or the guy that buys 500 dollar speakers and an amp that just slaps on to the stock head unit. Yes this stock speaker system will absolutely sh*t all over those kinds of setup (aka the setups that come to me for actual SQ tuning and revamping) and the stock factory speakers look like THIS puny sh*T!!!

reardeckcavity.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

Wonder how it is compared to that kenwood x301 (?) that ppl have been liking
Its better than the x301. its active capable, the x301 is not. Even with components, its the exact same options as the x301. The 24 bit dac on this JVC is super legit as well. I actually like the sound coming out of this more than the x301 and i was hardcore advocate for the x301 before jvc released this unit.

Its better than the x301. its active capable, the x301 is not. Even with components, its the exact same options as the x301. The 24 bit dac on this JVC is super legit as well. I actually like the sound coming out of this more than the x301 and i was hardcore advocate for the x301 before jvc released this unit.
buy my 730. 32bit dac! i bet you throw that pioneer out the window. 280 for you only. lol

buy my 730. 32bit dac! i bet you throw that pioneer out the window. 280 for you only. lol
eh i'm still keeping the 80 prs but in the future for other builds i wouldnt hesitate using this jvc from budget to mid level builds.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Jeffdachef

5,000+ posts
Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Jeffdachef
South Coast Metro, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies