Retaining factory USB (console) in 2014 Nissan Altima

Participant count
  • Participant list

kingsxman
10+ year member

Noob in training
HI all. I'm putting an Alpine head unit in a 2014 Nissan Altima (no Nav or Bose). Rather than use the supplied USB cable plugged into the back of alpine and run that out somewhere from under the dash...I'd like to try to retain the factory USB connection in the center console. I know that the USB port in the console connection ran to the old factory stereo. My goal is to just run a cable from the old connector left over from the factory radio ((not 100% sure which it is) into the USB connection on to the back of the Alpine. The issue is that everything aftermarket seems to stop at 2013 altima's. I even talked to PAC-Audio and they said the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I can think of doing is pulling the console and trying to fabricate something myself (which i REALLY dont want to do...)

HI all. I'm putting an Alpine head unit in a 2014 Nissan Altima (no Nav or Bose). Rather than use the supplied USB cable plugged into the back of alpine and run that out somewhere from under the dash...I'd like to try to retain the factory USB connection in the center console. I know that the USB port in the console connection ran to the old factory stereo. My goal is to just run a cable from the old connector left over from the factory radio ((not 100% sure which it is) into the USB connection on to the back of the Alpine. The issue is that everything aftermarket seems to stop at 2013 altima's. I even talked to PAC-Audio and they said the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I can think of doing is pulling the console and trying to fabricate something myself (which i REALLY dont want to do...)
Not Altima specific, but that’s a standard connector and should be fairly easy to pull the original and replace with the Alpine or just use an extension. My installer swapped mine for the cost of the cable.
Can you access the spot your current USB port is in, or is it a nightmare to get at?

Not Altima specific, but that’s a standard connector and should be fairly easy to pull the original and replace with the Alpine or just use an extension. My installer swapped mine for the cost of the cable.
Can you access the spot your current USB port is in, or is it a nightmare to get at?
THanks. I assume your talking about getting at the USB thats in the console. I have to pull the console out which I have not done yet (and may not get to do for awhile) but its doable. I saw a video where they did something like that and they had to cut the cable and glue the new cable to panel. (actually here it is: How to retain your factory USB and AUX inputs in a Hyundai or Kia - YouTube go to 4:10) Is that what your talking about?
thx

THanks. I assume your talking about getting at the USB thats in the console. I have to pull the console out which I have not done yet (and may not get to do for awhile) but its doable. I saw a video where they did something like that and they had to cut the cable and glue the new cable to panel. (actually here it is: How to retain your factory USB and AUX inputs in a Hyundai or Kia - YouTube go to 4:10) Is that what your talking about?
thx
Yes. USB is only four wires, so cutting a splicing would not be very difficult, and is reversible. I guess if the USB port is part of a larger circuit board assembly, it could be a PITA.
That said, I had my USB connector in my glove box for two years on my last vehicle, and never felt he need to dash-mount it. With over 6,000 songs on the stick, it was pretty rare that I had to take it out though.

Yes. USB is only four wires, so cutting a splicing would not be very difficult, and is reversible. I guess if the USB port is part of a larger circuit board assembly, it could be a PITA.
That said, I had my USB connector in my glove box for two years on my last vehicle, and never felt he need to dash-mount it. With over 6,000 songs on the stick, it was pretty rare that I had to take it out though.

Thanks. i know the glove box wouldn't work. This is my sons car and he charges his phone with it also so it has to be reachable. Its becoming pretty apparent that there is no conversion cable for this so I'm going to have to do something as you suggested or do a new flush mount somewhere on the car.

Thanks. i know the glove box wouldn't work. This is my sons car and he charges his phone with it also so it has to be reachable. Its becoming pretty apparent that there is no conversion cable for this so I'm going to have to do something as you suggested or do a new flush mount somewhere on the car.
I used to love center consoles for adding stuff without modifying the dash...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...