Remote Bass on 1100D

scottrc5391
10+ year member

the moon
I just ordered an 1100D (2002 model) but it doesn't come with the remote bass control like it's supposed to. Do I need this remote bass control to get full power out of the amp? I thought it just controlled gain so if I crank up the gain on the amp then I'll be fine right? Also, I have two other remote bass control knobs/wires from other amps, one being a legacy one, another a rockford one. They have the same type of wire to plug in, so can I use one of these for this amp or is this a bad idea? Thanks.

Well, I think it just acts as a remote gain controller, not some bass boost that is needed to run the amp at full power, so you're probably correct. I see no reason why the amp wouldn't reach full power with the gain up as far as needed. It would be nice to have the remote bass, so does anyone know if other companies' knobs will work for this one? Anybody want to sell me one for $10 shipped via Paypal (for the DEI 1100D remember)? Thanks.

In my mind bass boosts are just stupid. Just set the gain correct on your amp and you should have no need for a boost. Boost in my mind can cause subs to get blown so I wouldn't use one when i get my stuff but this is all my opinion I have no proof to back it up.

Well, if you set the boost so that you reach full gain (max needed) when the boost is all the way up I don't think you'd blow the subs. The bass knob is just a gain adjustment basically right? I thought it just "boosted" the input signal to the amp so that's the same as turning up the gain. I know what you mean though. Many people just avoid using any bass boost things at all (some because they claim it causes distortion), but I'd like to ask those people how they adjust the sub level for different songs as needed. I am always adjusting it to my liking (on my Alpine using sub level not a knob, but same thing I think). I also once read that if the amp comes with a bass boost or "level" separate from the gain (adjustment ON amp) then adjust that to be pretty high and THEN adjust gain. The author of this info claimed that it was better to amplify a "boosted" or high strength signal than a small one because it could cause distortion and it was more efficient. This is all rather off topic though.

I know I can reach full power with just gain set but I would like to be able to adjust the bass from up front and my HU can't do this, so I want a knob.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.