Reg Cab F150 JL W3V3 Ported box tuning recommendation.

From the straw that broke the camel's back.

Hey, I've already apologized to Shredder2 for getting the 45's wrong. Remember, it was my first box build. I've already reached out to him and let him know how it turned out and that I appreciated all of his help. The cubes on the box never changed. I got the orientation of the 45's wrong.
received_539521723294841.jpeg

I think you did a good job overall man.
How is that Bug holding up?
I'm happy to assist in any way I can btw.
Things are fixing to get busy for me so most I can do anymore is chime in.

The bug is holding up good. It really doesn't rattle that much. Everything is sound deadened and the front hood is fiberglass. The voltage stays between 13.5-14.3 while driving, and, never drops below 12.5 when I have the car off and playing music. I'm just trying to get it running right now. I fried the Pioneer tweeters during install, so, I ordered some Orion XTR 950's. They arrived today and they look nice. I've never used a 3 pound tweeter before. The sensitivity on them is rated at 111.8 and frequency response up to 28k.

Hey, I've already apologized to Shredder2 for getting the 45's wrong. Remember, it was my first box build. I've already reached out to him and let him know how it turned out and that I appreciated all of his help. The cubes on the box never changed. I got the orientation of the 45's wrong.

45s dont matter much unless you start getting to the 20,000 watt rms types of setups. Most of the times people lose on the meter with 45s from what i see. They only gain if the box was weak structurally to begin with. If the port is big enough to begin with, 45s do not help airflow in anyway like they do in a transmission line enclosure. You are better off just doing wooden dowel braces and making the box solid and non resonant.

45s dont matter much unless you start getting to the 20,000 watt rms types of setups. Most of the times people lose on the meter with 45s from what i see. They only gain if the box was weak structurally to begin with. If the port is big enough to begin with, 45s do not help airflow in anyway like they do in a transmission line enclosure. You are better off just doing wooden dowel braces and making the box solid and non resonant.

Jeff, that's what upset Shredder2. I built the top a different way just for structural reasons. The cubic feet was never messed with. 5.57 before port, sub, and 45's. Around 4.0 net tuned to 32. I think it turned out alright. 3/4" clear coated birch. Wet sanded and cleared again.
20191112_100722.jpg
20191103_170956.jpg
20191103_164104.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff, that's what upset Shredder2. I built the top a different way just for structural reasons. The cubic feet was never messed with. 5.57 before port, sub, and 45's. Around 4.0 net tuned to 32. I think it turned out alright. 3/4" clear coated birch. Wet sanded and cleared again.

Without the 45s, its not the same cubic feet he'd design for. The 45s take up space so thats probably in his calculations. Its really no big deal, you are just slightly peakier and lower tuned but literally makes zero difference like .1%

Jeff, that's what upset Shredder2. I built the top a different way just for structural reasons. The cubic feet was never messed with. 5.57 before port, sub, and 45's. Around 4.0 net tuned to 32. I think it turned out alright. 3/4" clear coated birch. Wet sanded and cleared again. View attachment 19252View attachment 19253View attachment 19254

Ports were supposed to go vertical top to bottom in all corners except the one near the port wall and sub cutout.. Doing them horizontal front to back could change the airspace if the depth of the box is different than the height.

Ports were supposed to go vertical top to bottom in all corners except the one near the port wall and sub cutout.. Doing them horizontal front to back could change the airspace if the depth of the box is different than the height.

The port is exactly as Shtedder2 designed it wiseguy. I fugked up the 45's and built top with three points of bearing instead of two. The air space was never changed. Nice try though.
20191207_174505.jpg

Without the 45s, its not the same cubic feet he'd design for. The 45s take up space so thats probably in his calculations. Its really no big deal, you are just slightly peakier and lower tuned but literally makes zero difference like .1%

Jeff, Shredder2 designed the box with 45's. I got the orientation wrong.
20191207_174505.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.