Reconing and YOU w/ Mr. Jizm Man & EhRon v. nG's custom woofage...

4 12" yzen level 4 with a 2.5" dual vc 4ohm and 1 interfire 12 dual 4ohm
yzen?

Good luck with either one, they are more than likely china based and you won't be able to readily find a drop in recone kit. Not many companies offer them for 2.5" VC's and especially if they're non-standard from china...

nG = my intials...

you can check em out yzen audio website. they handle a 1000 watts

their actually built in oklahoma city like digital design. american built. so theirs no way to make a frankenstein out of these?

Well I read though the thread and have a general idea how to recone, so the shims go inside the coil before you drop it in the motor? Are they there so when the glue sets up on the spider the coil stays straight? Just trying to get a strategy for when I go to recone my tc9 based eclipse since the coil is a good tint of black.

Any idea how much crap will be in the gap since the coil has been rubbing for 4 years? Also how do you get that crap out, just pieces of masking tape folded over with some exposed sticky?

Does CA glue = super glue?

Yes the 'shimms' go inside the gap between the pole piece (metal part of the motor) and the voice coil. This assures that the gap is correctly aligned so that you don't have any rubbing.

Also, after 4 years of rubbing you are going to have a lot of gunk inside the gap. You might try either canned air or an air compressor to 'blow' out the gap first. Then use masking tape to finish cleaning the gap. If the gap is really deep try attaching the tape to a note card or some other rigid thin object. Just make sure it isn't metal.

CA glues does not equal super glue (if you are thinking the stuff sold at Wally's World in the small metal tubes that burns your eyes and melts things). I have had decent luck with Goop and a few other products. But, if you can get a CA glue made for loudspeakers use it. I'm sure some other people on here know where to get it. IIRC Parts Express might sell it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.