Recone & enclosure modifications... it's getting closer to my goal

Participant count
  • Participants list

shredder2

CarAudio.com VIP
Az
Well... reconing to dual 1 was something I wanted to do. Waiting for about a month for the recone to arrive was something I should have expected... thx Fi
Then due to the added power I had some enclosure surgery to do. 7.6ft3 then to 7.1ft3... finally around 6.7ft3 seems to be where I need it. I've closed up the port area a bit to 111in2 and kept the tuning close (around 42hz... best guess I got). I removed my preamp/eq and set gains a little better (DD1 and all). I had to get assistance with the reconing as my hands lack strength and fine motor movement skills but it got done.
I think I'm getting closer to my goal and will meter it soon. After the recone I blew my dustcap loose and now it's mufugly with CA but solid after fixing the issue.
At .5 nominal I sure need more current but it IS a difference for sure. Not setting records here or anything but for a daily single 18?.. :)
I've never made an enclosure last so long or go thru so many changes... lol... this one started at 9.07ft3, then I cut it down to 7.6ft3, added bracing/45's to take it around 7.1ft3 and is now around 6.7ft3/42hz after more bracing/45's and doubling up the inner port wall.
I got that smaller Northstar I can still add as well but nowhere to put it in back realistically so I might try to locate it up front eventually (good luck charlie).
At least the enclosure is well braced now... lol
IPd1xG.jpg

I've closed-up the port area to 105in2 and am going to shrink the net volume by .25-.35ft3 as I'm still able to overpower the sub seemingly.
At full out I can make the coil tap slightly (frequency dependent) so I think I'm close to where I need to be volume-wise at least.
With only a few burps testing, that small port area change did make a real difference, so I'm hoping the volume change will let me use all the power. This AAK-4000.1 is pretty strong at .5.
I'm very happy as is but looking for more as usual...🤣

Ok... damn... this thing ****** a handle of 80proof Inside, and my lighter is missing... lol

Attachments

• 20190807_151505.jpg
    20190807_151505.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 161
I got to shrink volume some more, it should raise tuning a touch right where I need it, I cant even burp at cabin frequency as is... what I metered was just under 47hz (cabin freq) at 45hz.
I've got this to play with soon...
7vuWT0X.jpg

For now I'm sticking with the Bl and trying to get some more DB's out of it 1st before changing up.
I'm trying a - .5ft3 change for now. I about sent that BL at the event... i think the last .1db was the coil tapping.
V6NSiGD.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced the crispy 0ga Soundquest alt charge wire earlier today with a Toolmaker dual lug and dual 1/0 copper welding wire. Found another ground that was powdery as well and got busy under the hood for once. I ended up changing the battery terminals (ILL customs) and any Cca I could find. I am waiting on lugs and wire to finish the main run and amp area then I'll double up all grounds up front with copper as well.
Now to resize this box so I can burp at cabin frequency without killing the sub and see if 151db+ comes. I won't rebuild this setup for this sub so it's just test and test. I kinda shot myself in the foot, I can't with play around with positioning only change the distance to the loading surface. It's in there and not getting moved so I'll just see what I can get out of it now.
Jeez... look at all this nonsense... blue, yellow and green needs to be added to close up volume. The tan, pink and purple is already previously done.
vSzb6R.jpg

I remeasured and ran some #'s and I'm around 7.1ft3 net tuned 39hz or so currently.. with the change in volume I should be around 6.5ft3 net tuned just under 41hz. Hopefully that will allow the sub to handle the power better... there's another event in Oct locally coming up. I'll probably fart a 45 on that day... lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.