Rebuilt Chevy 350

adulbrich

Lock up your daughters!
May 11, 2014
Ames, Iowa
We recently re-built a chevy 350 in Auto-tech class. Everyone split up into groups of two and got to rebuild a motor with a partner. It took us about a month because we only got to work on it a couple hours each school day. We completely tore it down to the block, honed out the cylinders, cleaned everything with solvent, and put everything back together to torque spec. My favorite parts were taking the piston rings off and putting them back on, and also taking the valves out of the heads. There were a few parts I didn't like though. Re-seating the heads for the valves sucked and measuring all the parts to see if they were within tolerance was a pain. Adjusting the valves wasn't very fun either.

It was cool to start them up after rebuilding them. At first, we had a timing issue and one of the cylinders was dead because one of the nuts holding a rocker arm on was too tight. The valve was stuck open, so it didn't have compression. After we set the timing right and loosened the rocker arm nut, it ran great!

Took a video of us getting it started. First couple times weren't great, but near the end of the video around 1:45 it's shooting flames out of the headers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

OP
adulbrich

adulbrich

Lock up your daughters!
May 11, 2014
Ames, Iowa
I need a new 5.7 engine
Well, it's for sale for the right price, haha.

Not in fantastic condition and shipping would be a beyotch though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

ciaonzo

TheContinental
10+ year member
Feb 1, 2009
WI
How about the green stuff to measure the main bearing tolerance? Cool, huh? Plastigage or something like that.

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
one of the reasons why i like gm full sizes so much, just swap a rebuilt 5.3 or 5.7 in after they finally die 200-300k down the road lol they're surprisingly cheap compared to engines for other vehicles

OP
adulbrich

adulbrich

Lock up your daughters!
May 11, 2014
Ames, Iowa
How about the green stuff to measure the main bearing tolerance? Cool, huh? Plastigage or something like that.
It was red colored plastic/wax wire that we used. How wide it squished to showed the main bearing tolerance. Yeah, that was pretty cool. Plastigauge sounds right

OP
adulbrich

adulbrich

Lock up your daughters!
May 11, 2014
Ames, Iowa
one of the reasons why i like gm full sizes so much, just swap a rebuilt 5.3 or 5.7 in after they finally die 200-300k down the road lol they're surprisingly cheap compared to engines for other vehicles
Yeah, they're really common and price is low because of that.

I wouldn't swap my 5.3 for a 5.7. Yeah it's cool to have a 350, but I've got a quad bracket for a 5.3. I don't know how many alternators you can fit on a full size with a 5.7.

I'd just get it bored over with a longer crankshaft if I wanted more power. I forget what a 5.3 is. Something like a 323??

You can hear a difference between 350's and 305's for sure. Some people got 350's and some people got 305's. There was also one 327 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I think the 350's sound a lot meaner

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds