RE8s, one moving more than the other

tomd
10+ year member

Montana
Hey guys, i've had my RE8s in my car for a while (ported), but i just put a new amp in (Hifonics NX400), and i cranked it and was looking at 'em, and one of them is moving a lot more than the other, the thing that confuses me is that they are wired in series, so i don't see how it could be a loose connection or something....

Why would they do this? Could it just be a bad sub or something? Due to improper break in or something? I got them at the same time, bought new, never installed otherwise....

Also, what happens when a sub bottoms out? Does it make a hell of a racket?

amp is bridged, then the subs are in series, sooo

+ of amp goes to + of first sub, - of first sub goes to + of second sub, - of second sub goes to - of amp

It's because they are in series. The speakers will interact with each other electrically when they are wired in series. If at all possible you want to wire each speaker in parallel. What you do with each voicecoil doesn't affect anything other than the final load seen by the amp. I assume you want a 4ohm mono load. Wire the coils of each sub in series (connect the + of one coil to the - of the other) then wire the two subs in parallel (available + of each speaker to the amp + and the same for the available -). That will give you the same final load without any speaker interaction.

single 2 ohm voice coils IIRC

EDIT: should i add another terminal cup to the back ( i have another, but i gave my boss his holesaw back =/ ) and since the amp is two channel, just wire one to each?

It's because they are in series. The speakers will interact with each other electrically when they are wired in series. If at all possible you want to wire each speaker in parallel. What you do with each voicecoil doesn't affect anything other than the final load seen by the amp. I assume you want a 4ohm mono load. Wire the coils of each sub in series (connect the + of one coil to the - of the other) then wire the two subs in parallel (available + of each speaker to the amp + and the same for the available -). That will give you the same final load without any speaker interaction.
Could this be the reason why when I had my 2 HC's wired to 1 ohm each, then wired them to 2 ohms that they sounded like crap, but when I had 1 at 1 ohm it sounded amazing??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.