RE Audio XXX 15 ***** balls.. Why???

The box needs to be way bigger. I have a 12 new style xxx in a 5 cf box after displacement and it's tuned too 27 hz and it sounds great. Hits decent high notes and just murders the lows. What kinda car u have the sub in.

The new xxx is not garbage. Its not at the top of my list of subs Id prefer, but in the right enclosure its very capable. In the right sized sealed enclosure (large), no other sub can touch this driver. But this forum is heavily biased towards vented enclosures, so its seen as garbage.

They require large enclosures because to get anywhere near its excursion potential, you either need a lot of power, or a large enclosure. The xxx's coil cant withstand 5kw for daily use, so the big enclosure is the only realistic option. But on this forum, most people would rather just go with a more traditional driver in a ported box, rather than the xxx in its over sized sealed box.

The new xxx is not garbage. Its not at the top of my list of subs Id prefer, but in the right enclosure its very capable. In the right sized sealed enclosure (large), no other sub can touch this driver. But this forum is heavily biased towards vented enclosures, so its seen as garbage.
They require large enclosures because to get anywhere near its excursion potential, you either need a lot of power, or a large enclosure. The xxx's coil cant withstand 5kw for daily use, so the big enclosure is the only realistic option. But on this forum, most people would rather just go with a more traditional driver in a ported box, rather than the xxx in its over sized sealed box.
Good post. I'd like to have a XXX as a HT sub.

Re recommends 2.1 sealed, and I am almost double that.. So If I seal the box and add some stuffing, should that be good? Or should it be even bigger? Power is not an issue, my amp is a beast, and I have the electrical to back it up.

I ran the sub through winisd, which I should have done in the first place, and no matter what I did, this sub ***** for ported enclosures.. 4 cubes sealed seemed to have a fairly even frequency response. I guess i'll seal it up properly and try again with the sub pointing in a different direction..

thanks for the replies..

i have noticed that. very true.

either large sealed or larger ported tuned low is the way to go with the XXX...a conventional box used for traditionally(and commonly) lower-Q woofers does not work with them, whatsoever.

either large sealed or larger ported tuned low is the way to go with the XXX...a conventional box used for traditionally(and commonly) lower-Q woofers does not work with them, whatsoever.
If the XXX is so much better in such a large enclosure, then why doesn't RE recommend that in the first place? Their recommended ported box is 4.0 @ 33hz. If it sounds so bad in the box that they recommend, then why are they recommending it in the first place? I'm not trying to argue, just trying to figure this out. I have an XXX 15" ('09 model) in a 5.0ft. (after port & sub) @ 33hz box. Sounds OK to me but I may just seal the thing. I'm finding it somewhat peaky sounding if my xover is set higher than 50hz.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.