RE Audio XXX 12" sealed box recommendations

teptepley1
10+ year member

I currently have one 12" 2 ohm RE Audio XXX sub on an american bass phantom series 2500 watt amp run at 1 ohm (1250 RMS) in a ported box, 3 cubes at 33Hz setup in a 2000 ford explorer. kinda pissed i got talked into ported because i bought the sub to go for all out SQL while still having good SPL, but even more pissed that i listened to RE's ported box specs. After looking around i know it is way to small. ALSO, I'm in the market for a Hifonics Brutus 2100 watt amp (BRZ2100.1D) or Brutus 2400 watt amp (BRZ2400.1D) to better power this thing.

SO, before i go build another box, i was wondering what people who have this beast would recommend for a sealed enclosure because 1.1 sounds waayy to small.

bought brand new off sonic for 500 about a month ago so its the new one.

also i read a bunch of posts (many on here) that recommend sealed to achieve the insane xmax these subs can put out.

Old XXX arent as fantastic as the older ones, but you will be disapointed going from that box to a sealed enclosure with that sub. But I dont think thats the problem. Your box is rather big for that sub. Try building another ported box at 2.2 cubes and tuned down to 30-31hrz...

And that sub is not going to really start wanging till you give it a few more wattage... especially in that big of a box. Bigger box = more efficiency.. You are already under powering it as it is.

So, smaller box, give it recommended wattage, and go with a lower tuning. I think you'd be alot happier doing that.

Eh... I heard two of the new XXX's in a 7 cube box. Not sure what it was ported at, but thats pretty similar.. just .5 cube more than what he is running. It sounded kinda MEH'ish...

Hmmm.... everything ive ever read about these subs suggests larger sealed enclosures for best use of the excursion and best sound. Has anyone every heard one (or more) in both?

and i know its way underpowered, that was just the amp i had from my last setup. im trying to get one of the hifonics amps but i havent found one for the right price yet.

I too would think that box was ideal. You could have tuned it a lil lower. Other than that, should sound good. Only think I can think of is that you need more wattage, but that wouldnt make it sound bad, just wouldnt push it to its potential.

What exactly sounds bad about it?

More power and a HUGE sealed enclosure
How huge?

And it sounds a little sloppy on songs with double bass or just weird bass base lines. I listen to rap but not exclusively. Like this calling and, just cuz its probably the best example, I gotta feeling, sound kinda bad on it as well as others. And my experience has always been that sealed boxes help produce tighter more accurate bass.

Also about the much needed extra power, its coming very soon. I'll have around 2000 cea certified watts running to it.

View attachment 26525551
this is the box i have it in right now.

14.25H 15D 36L

3 inch port, total port length is 26.5

port area 38.25

33.8 Hz
The issue with the RE calc is that it does not take into account any displacements other than the port. The sub itself is another .25ft^3 in this case, which shrinks your box volume and also raises your tuning a little.

What exactly do you not like about how everything currently sounds? Are you wanting more low-end? These are not efficient woofers; it takes lots of power and a proper box to get them loud.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.