RCA splitter vs 15 feet of 2nd RCA's from HU....which is cleaner?

Participant count
  • Participant list

rrsnotyours

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello all. My HU has 6 preamp out but rather than running 3 sets RCA's, is there an advantage/dis (other than having control at HU) to running 2 sets and splitting one at the amp via Y adaptor for front/rears....and 2nd RCA for sub? Would the crossovers be better in a Kenwood Excelon head unit than a Rockwood 2000w amp anyways or are amps xovers generally better?

Last edited:
If you run y splitters for the front and rears you'll lose the the fader adjustment and you will limit how much your hu eq can do for you...and honestly I'd trust the kenwood's crossovers to be better than the Rockwood

Thanks. I understand the loss of HU control vs adjusting at amp....is there a loss of voltage/signal quality from "y splitter" or is that actually better for signal/noise than 15 more feet of a 3rd set RCA's?

If you use the crossover in the head unit, then you aren't sending that part of the signal to the amp. (Whether or not that allows a more narrow signal to be "cleaner") someone else might be able to answer.

Have you checked to see if you can use both? See what the frequency range is on the speakers you are using. You might be able to use the high on one and the low on the other.

If you're someone that disconnects your battery often for maintenance, the amp's crossover is mechanical and wouldn't need to be reset every time.

It won't save you money. Yeah you lose the fader ability from the head unit, kind of depends on your setup.

I did something like that for a different reason. I have 3 amps. I have three pairs of outputs on the head unit. One amp for subs, one amp for the front components (2 pairs of nice and loud), and the third tiny amp for the rear mids that are there because I have the space, had the equipment, and think they help at mid volume. I ran RCAs from front and sub channel to under the drivers seat, and added in a potentiometer (bass knob) for each. After the speaker knob, I split it and ran two sets to go one for each speaker amp. I lose a little fader, but I'll never really notice it, and this gives me the option to run subs independently at full volume to be obnoxious, and can turn the mids and tweeters all the way up or down independently. I leave the head unit on near high (for most of the time), and can adjust it all a bit easier and incognito from the seat without going through the head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...