Random Useless Knowledge

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
The PEPCON explosion of 1988 had two explosions. The second explosion had an estimated yield of 1-Kiloton. Fuel - Ammonium Perchlorate.
The Beirut explosion of 2020 had two explosions. The second explosion had an estimated yield of 1.5-Kilotons. Fuel - Ammonium Nitrate

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
The PEPCON explosion of 1988 had two explosions. The second explosion had an estimated yield of 1-Kiloton. Fuel - Ammonium Perchlorate.
The Beirut explosion of 2020 had two explosions. The second explosion had an estimated yield of 1.5-Kilotons. Fuel - Ammonium Nitrate
I live in Vegas. I was away at College when it happened, but people told me that it picked the road up about three feet close to the plant. It blew windows out of hotels on The Strip. The Strip was about ten miles away. I'm pretty sure that only one person died.

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I live in Vegas. I was away at College when it happened, but people told me that it picked the road up about three feet close to the plant. It blew windows out of hotels on The Strip. The Strip was about ten miles away. I'm pretty sure that only one person died.
2 reported deaths with PEPCON. I am sure you all have seen the blast of a U.S. MOAB. That is only = to 11 tons of Trinitrotoluene. Explosions are nasty suckers.

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
2 reported deaths with PEPCON. I am sure you all have seen the blast of a U.S. MOAB. That is only = to 11 tons of Trinitrotoluene. Explosions are nasty suckers.
If I remember correctly, the headline on the front page of the Las Vegas Review-Journal was, "A Miracle Happened Yesterday!" Because, only two people died. I could've swore it was only one death. Maybe, another person died days later in the hospital.

Last edited:

audioholic

not a moderator
10+ year member
Aug 31, 2003
Parts Unknown
The Beirut explosion has wide felt consequences. Those silo's Im sure we've all seen right next to the building that exploded were said to contain most of Lebanon's grain supplies for winter. And a couple weeks ago the prime minister and parliament resigned due to complications over the explosion. Lebanon is a mess.

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
The Beirut explosion has wide felt consequences. Those silo's Im sure we've all seen right next to the building that exploded were said to contain most of Lebanon's grain supplies for winter. And a couple weeks ago the prime minister and parliament resigned due to complications over the explosion. Lebanon is a mess.
Always sad to see destruction like that. Most people don't ever think about the collateral damage or after effects of disasters.

Did you know? Sony made the first commercially available car audio CD player in 1984 and in 1985 Becker produced the first OEM CD players in cars.

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Elite
Apr 27, 2020
United States
I hope the people who stored ammonium nitrate in that quantity for that duration understand the fustercluck and lives lost that they've caused. I haven't read on it lately, but had kind of assumed it was fireworks (which burn white hot) next to Ammonium Nitrate (that burns slowly until a certain temperature at which point it detonates). Is that the official response?

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
I hope the people who stored ammonium nitrate in that quantity for that duration understand the fustercluck and lives lost that they've caused. I haven't read on it lately, but had kind of assumed it was fireworks (which burn white hot) next to Ammonium Nitrate (that burns slowly until a certain temperature at which point it detonates). Is that the official response?
They found 4,000 more pounds of Ammonium Nitrate today in Beruit.

• Wow
Reactions: Lasherž

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jul 22, 2019
ND
Is this thread meant to focus on that particular incident, or are you looking for random, useless facts?

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Like this... For a rainbow, light refracts in the water droplet at 42 degrees... for a double rainbow, light refracts at 50 degrees as well. The is why the fainter rainbow appears above. Light enters the water droplet, refracts off the back and exits the water droplet in the direction it entered, 42 degrees off.

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Elite
Apr 27, 2020
United States
Type II deionized water is so close to uniform H2O that it doesn't conduct hardly any electricity at all (1M ohms per cm) and putting it on your tongue actually has an effect similar to fresh pineapple where it will hurt your tongue as all of the ions rush into the water preferentially from your saliva and flesh.

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Type II deionized water is so close to uniform H2O that it doesn't conduct hardly any electricity at all (1M ohms per cm) and putting it on your tongue actually has an effect similar to fresh pineapple where it will hurt your tongue as all of the ions rush into the water preferentially from your saliva and flesh.
Does that also mean if it is heated it will not boil at 212 degrees like tap water?

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Elite
Apr 27, 2020
United States
Does that also mean if it is heated it will not boil at 212 degrees like tap water?
The ionic water solution (tap water) would boil at a higher temperature than pure water, but it's a fraction of a degree. 100 degrees C is centered around ion-free water at ocean level. So technically tap water doesn't boil at 212F, it would boil at like ~212.05 or so (at ocean level) depending on the extent to which it's ionized.

Pure type II deionized water though is dangerous to boil because if it's a perfect lattice there's no spot to which the bubbles can take place (nucleation point). It can end up going quite a bit higher than boiling before an imperfection from the air or a bump triggers it and it would basically explode in the pot. Ever hear that you're not supposed to boil filtered water in a microwave? That's one of the reasons why, the other being a mix of boiling and not boiling water being undisturbed, and also why adding a toothpick fixes both issues. It's similar to how if there's no imperfection in the lattice a crystal will never form, so people can put pure water in a freezer and then tap it on and it'll go from liquid to ice the moment they bump/touch it. I think the compressor kicking on and off on my fridge is enough to make that never happen.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Newest threads

Latest classifieds