questions regarding aftermarket audio in my 2006 Toyota Matrix

Participant count
  • Participant list

Nos4me1333

CarAudio.com Newbie
so heres my problem, Im a trim carpenter and i have to have my tools with me to do my job.
i have a shop stool on wheels in the back seat. there is only like 3 feet from the back of the up right seat to the hatch.
Im not going to have enough room for a conventional install. so i was thinking that i was just going to install some aftermarket door speakers that have some thump to them and amplify those instead.
anybody know what the best speaker fit size wise would be for the front and back.
Im big on music so not having the traditional pounding for some subwoofers is kind of frustrating.
but im stuck with it at this point. i think some high quality door speakers that can handle some power with a 4 channel amp would be great.
so basically does anyone know what size speakers for the front and back and which speakers i should buy if im looking for more bass out of my door speakers. im a total noob. when it comes to car audio.
this is the first time using a forum before also so if ive broken any rules im sorry

thanks for your time guys.....

Last edited:
so basically does anyone know what size speakers for the front and back and which speakers i should buy if im looking for more bass out of my door speakers.

Without doing some extreme modifications you're simply not going to get good low frequency out of your doors or other factory locations. For what fits as far as plug and play into factory holes go over to Crutchfield website and plug in your vehicle information there. Their site is very good at displaying what fits, what you'll need to integrate into anything factory and while their prices are a little higher than you might find elsewhere they have a fine selection and their customer service is top notch.

As far as brands, stay away from the flea market tier brands, and try to get at least one tier above the entry level and you should be fine. The stuff from respected brands should all perform very similar across price tiers (the 150$ Rockford coaxials would perform on par with the 150$ offering from Alpine, JBL, Kicker, etc.) I personally like the JBL/Infinity lineup a lot but there's loads of other stuff that can get you to the same place.

If you're a carpenter I see no reason you couldn't build some sort of subwoofer box to fit somewhere that keeps the cone from being damaged by tools or whatever. Even a single 8" subwoofer or pair of 6" subwoofers in <1 cubic foot box will fill in your low end nicely and you should be able to fit something like that somewhere in the cargo area and keep enough room for your work stuff.

Thanks for the imput.... As you can see I have basically no space for anything other than my tools. I have come to terms with that now. That's ok because I have another project that I'm working on. I am a very heavy sleeper, I'm going to take a headunit with Bluetooth and get a set of 6 and a halfs with one or 2 sundown sam 65.4 powered by one or many power supply units out of a computer. I was thinking of going with marine grade speakers and maybe some tweeters. The goal is to build an alarm clock that will violently waking me from my slumber. 20200917_144237.jpg

Thanks for the imput.... As you can see I have basically no space for anything other than my tools. I have come to terms with that now. That's ok because I have another project that I'm working on. I am a very heavy sleeper, I'm going to take a headunit with Bluetooth and get a set of 6 and a halfs with one or 2 sundown sam 65.4 powered by one or many power supply units out of a computer. I was thinking of going with marine grade speakers and maybe some tweeters. The goal is to build an alarm clock that will violently waking me from my slumber.View attachment 23518
You definitely have space for a sub, fiber glass your own enclosure, have the sub a lot higher closer to the roof and have the port down firing /angling towards the hatch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.