Question regarding SQ and price: 1 or 2 12's?

JustPerfect
10+ year member

Hey guys,

Last fall I bought one 12" Infinity Perfect sub (dual 4-ohm voice coil, btw), but didn't get a chance to buy an amp for it yet so I just hooked up an old, low-powered jensen to it for the month or two that I had it in my car before winter. Anyway, I'm going to be running Alpine Type S speakers in the back (actually, I already am) and will be getting Infinity Reference 6002i 6.5"s very soon for the fronts. Lately I've became very much more SQ-oriented and don't have much of a budget (saving for college and other stuff).

So, now I'm trying to decide my next upgrade. Either I'm going to get a jbl 600.1 (or a similar amp), another Infinity Perfect sub, and a new dual 12 box (which, altogether, would probably cost around $400, I think), or maybe just keep my single 12 and get a jbl 300.1 and a new box.

It's tough to decide, because while I have two jobs and make enough money to probably buy the second 12", jbl 600.1, and new box in about a month, that's a lot of money to spend.... especially since I have to save for a college course this August (I'm a junior in high school right now) that's going to cost upwards of $1,000.

My question is, will one 12" sub, in a good sealed enclosure and with sufficient rms power (300-350 watts from the jbl 300.1), give me enough bass for the kind of sound quality I'm looking for? Or will I wish I went all-out and went ahead and did a full upgrade with two subs in the trunk? Maybe I could balance the two by just using the one sub and port it?

By the way, I drive a pretty small car, a Saturn SC2 (sports coupe).

Thanks a lot for any input,

- Dane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.