Question on Dayton ultimax 8”

I’m a newb to sub box specs/ building.
Would a wider port be better? Like going to a 1x 13x whatever. I’m thinking long as the stats equal the same the dimensions shouldn’t matter.
I’ve heard using.50 as a number. For figuring internal numbers on build. It takes into account the sun, bracing, etc to build the box. Like if you want a .75cu foot box. You build it to 1.2 cu foot. That take in how much space sun and all takes up in the box.

Here is plan I used for a different 8, but it would work. With the Dayton ultimax in the box it would be around .9 tuned to 34 HZ. it doesn’t really need the double thick baffle for the Dayton, so you could eliminate that part to make the build a little easier.
1299A82A-D3C7-4B50-854F-053B6B948F94.jpeg

I just saw the box recommended by Dayton. It is for the Ultimax 8.
they suggest a .75 cu foot box. Then say to port with a 10”x 1” 30” long.
How can you get 30” long port in a .75 cu foot box?

Pay attention to the width to height ratio of the port. The further you deviate from a square shape, the less efficient the port becomes and it will begin to behave as if the tuning was higher than it actually is. The higher the surface area of the port, the more drag inhibits flow. Less surface area yeilds less drag and increases flow.

Make the port longer to compensate for this. It is generally viewed that you should not exceed a 1:9 ratio of width to height. Even at this maximum ratio, efficiency and performance will suffer compared to a square design.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...