quest for low bass

jonjon wompwomp

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 26, 2020
Tacoma, WA.
besides the box, what is the determining factor/s for how low a subwoofer can play and still be
loud and clear? is it something mechanical, i.e. the coil size/lenght, motor force, cone area... or is it simply a combination of some or all of the above?

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
besides the box, what is the determining factor/s for how low a subwoofer can play and still be
loud and clear? is it something mechanical, i.e. the coil size/lenght, motor force, cone area... or is it simply a combination of some or all of the above?
Mostly box but to some degree mechanical limits can be a limiting factor. Keep in mind that everything that allows for higher excursion will sacrifice efficiency and after a certain point will gain you very little in potential for more output.

audioholic

not a moderator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Aug 31, 2003
Parts Unknown
In a sealed enclosure or IB, linear excursion will be a limiting factor. In vented enclosures, excursion is minimized at or near tuning where the enclosure is it's most efficient, so thermal limits become more of a factor. But generally speaking, the enclosure itself, and the characteristics of the vehicle (like its transfer function) will be the biggest factors in perceived performance.

jonjon wompwomp

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 26, 2020
Tacoma, WA.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kinda what I come up with as well. I figured the mechanical limits effect power handling more so than bandwidth... My inquiry stems from my experience with my new sundown 18" U series subwoofer. I am having trouble hitting that sweet spot of 28 to 32 Hz. Ive owned the D series, SA series, and the Z series... All of which seem to love those frequencies. I was thinking it was just the design of the driver with that steep surround and all. I have it in a 3.94 ft3 aero port box with a 6"single port at 28 in2 of port area. As it stands with displacement the enclosure is tuned to 30 Hz
I dont get it...

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Nov 19, 2017
Az
sundown 18" U series I have it in a 3.94 ft3 aero port box with a 6"single port at 28 in2 of port area.
I dont get it...
single 6" aero?.. for an 18?

Id redesign and try an 8" aero next time... thats a hi-excursion sub and if you power it right it'll def hit port compression WAY too soon with a 6" imo.
My 30mm xmax 18 in 5.25ft3 or so uses a 10" and gets down tuned 34. (around 26"long)

In 4 cubes a 8" is about right for your application if you ask me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds