preamp question

Marine0806
10+ year member

how much does the preamp voltage make a diff. and what exacly does it mean. im looking at a few HU's right now and im wondering which one to get. I need to know if this is actually a big diff. in performance of head units, if so , it will make my choices a lot easier to make. I've got my eye on an alpine with 4V preamps, a sony with 2V, and an Eclipse CDA3424 which I have no clue of the preamp voltage. can anyone make and suggestions on which i should go with, or maybe another suggestion of better bang for my buck, im not loaded, im looking at spending right around $200

how much does the preamp voltage make a diff. and what exacly does it mean. im looking at a few HU's right now and im wondering which one to get. I need to know if this is actually a big diff. in performance of head units, if so , it will make my choices a lot easier to make. I've got my eye on an alpine with 4V preamps, a sony with 2V, and an Eclipse CDA3424 which I have no clue of the preamp voltage. can anyone make and suggestions on which i should go with, or maybe another suggestion of better bang for my buck, im not loaded, im looking at spending right around $200
The eclipse has 2.7 volt pre outs. The resistance of that voltage may play a part too. Eclipse has historically had low resistance on their pre outs(that model would be 330 ohms...and some manufacturers do not even list that spec). I would take a 2.7 volt eclipse over many other "4 volt" decks. I own an 8 volt eclipse. I would not say that the pre out voltage is the biggest factor in the world though. Go listen to the decks, play around with them, etc. Your ears will tell you what you like the best(I suggest listening to all of the decks using the same amp).

I have owned most major brands of head units, and I am now using my 4th eclipse deck. I think they make some of the best sounding decks around(and many others agree).

Good luck with whatever you buy.

It's not a real big deal. The general rule is the higher the better, but I wouldn't let it be a major factor in choosing a HU. Most upper-class units are 4V or more... I wouldn't own another 2V preout unit.

It's not a real big deal. The general rule is the higher the better, but I wouldn't let it be a major factor in choosing a HU. Most upper-class units are 4V or more... I wouldn't own another 2V preout unit.
x2

IMO youll definately want to go with a 4v preout or higher

thanks for the help, can you tell me anytihng about that eclipse. does it have a sub control or any of that good stuff? also, how many preamps does it have, im looking to probably get another amp soon after i get this HU

thanks for the help, can you tell me anytihng about that eclipse. does it have a sub control or any of that good stuff? also, how many preamps does it have, im looking to probably get another amp soon after i get this HU
YOu can see pics/specs on http://www.eclipse-web.com

It doesn't have a ton of features, but I think they make excellent sounding decks. Many people get wrapped up in the notion that more features means better sound. I don't subscribe to that idea.

The 3424 has a sub out, sub out control, and a remote control. That deck retails for $249, authorized. If the dealer installs it, your warranty bumps from 1 year to 3 years(best factory warranty available on a head unit afaik), and you get a 1 year anti theft warranty.

The 3434 is essentially the same deck only with a motorized face(retails for $299).

i was looking at the eclipse that was 199, i thought it was that one, was it probably the model beloew that one, if so, do you recomend it?
I believe the 3414 is the one for $199. Having used most major brands as well as being on my 4th eclipse deck, I definitely recommend eclipse :O)

I don't believe the 3414 has a separate sub out control though. Another good choice in your price range is the clarion 835mp. I believe it can still be had from http://www.thezeb.com for around $220. IT is a solid deck. I did use 1 for a few months last summer. It has a separate sub out control, is easy to use, mp3(if you care about that), and mine never skipped. It also comes with a remote.

thanks, since you have had expeirience with many of the other brands as well, i was wondering what you could tell me about a Pioneer DEH-P760MP, Alpine CDA-9827, or the sony CDX-M800, these are a few other HU's that have caught my eye

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.