ppi a600.2 repair

Participant count
  • Participants list

Camineet
10+ year member

N/A
hi all,can i trouble you guys to let me know if there is a reputable person currently doing repairs on these amps?i have a near mint a600.2. i'd give it a 9.8 out of 10. pretty much flawless cosmetically as i have babied it all these years since buying it new in '96 or so.the only flaw is on the underside of one of the mounting brackets. it somehow got some rust on it which i plan to grind out and paint. here's the repair needed...the amp works very well except at low volumes, a scratchy sound can be heard in voices and horn instruments and such. it's something like a scratchy sound and not a click, crackle, or popping.the amp still performs magnificently at loud volumes, but the low volume problem must be fixed for the amp to be truly enjoyed.in an attempt to fix the problem, i thought i would go about recapping the whole amp. in 2016 i ordered all the caps for the job. and in 2017 i made an attempt to do the recapping.i was only able to change one of the big caps. it was extremely difficult for me to get the old one out, and so i gave up after only swapping out this single cap. a more experienced technician can almost assuredly desolder and get these stubborn caps out much more easily than i am able to. i don't think there's anything particularly wrong with these caps. they're just old and as i understand it, solder gets harder and therefore more difficult to desolder after some years.after my failed attempt to recap the whole amp, i reassembled it and it still works the same as before working on it. i still have the box of all the other caps that i didn't replace, and in addition to diagnosing the scratchy sound problem, am asking for the repair tech to recap the amp using the caps i bought or others if they would be recommended. perhaps the repair tech might recommend an upgrade on the caps that i wouldn't know anything about without receiving such a recommendation from someone more skilled.thanks in advance if the diyma community can let me know my options on this
smile.gif

16 - 1(9)2.jpg

hit up Michael Schultz on the facebooks. His profile pic is a black IROC-Z with gold accented wheels and gold lettering with the t-tops off. He is renowned for fixing tons of amps for tons of folks. Seems quite legit. If that doesnt trip your trigger, you can hit up The Amp Lab ( https://theamplab.net/ ) these guys can and will fix anything (pretty much) and if THAT doesnt fickle your fancy, i know a guy who knows the one, the only the Zed and i can see if his workload will allow to have him fix your amp as Zed is in quite high demand

seems I never replied to this. Thanks for the info! I ended up finally using the amp lab. Crazy few years. Finally sent the amp off early this month.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.