Power Wire Grounding out after fuse

Jersey2816

CarAudio.com Newbie
MO
I have a cheap 800 watt amp in the work truck that keeps blowing fuses at the battery, when i hook up the tester to the fuse box it shows that the power wire is grounded on one side and the other side is hot. I put in a new 4ga power wire, took all the screws out of the amp that were touching the metal of truck, all the wires coming into the amp are nice and neat, not overlapping or touching each other. I'm out of ideas on where to look to fix this problem. The amp runs for about 20 mins then the 20amp fuse blows up by the battery. Any Ideas?

Not too mention the kind of wire as well. Cheap wire could cause issues like this as well. I also have a 2nd fuse a few inches before my amplifier as do many others these days.

Kickstand mentioned fuse size figured I didn't have to if someone else did. Good grief! Don't like the response that is not my problem. Why mention it when someone else already did right above me. You however can take your smart ass comment someplace else.

Last edited:
I was wrong, it's a 600Watt, Dual DA6002D. The old one was 800 watts that worked fine for 2 years then started blowing fuses so i bought the new one after finding nothing wrong with the wiring. I went with a 20amp fuse because that's what's in the amp from factory. I'm only powering two 6 by 9's so you can hear the music over engine. The wiring is a soundbox 4ga amp power/ground wire.

If there is a short in the line after the fuse by the battery then your amp might take the brunt of it.
This doesn't make any sense. If there is a short after the fuse, the fuse opens and the line after the fuse is dead. Current is constant in a series circuit.

If you get a short between the fuse and the amp you can get a surge.
Yes it will probably blow the fuse but not before it goes to the amp.
I lost an old school RF Power 800a2 to this
There was a quarter sized hole in the board after and my car smelled like burnt electronics for a week
I have pictures somewhere but there on an old hard drive in a stack of like 20 of them.
I gave up after the 3rd drive

Your amp died of something else. A power cable shorted to ground causes a current spike between the battery and ground. It doesn't cause any additional current to the amp. If an amp has an internal fault, it might draw enough current to blow the fuse in your power wire, but a shorted power wire doesn't do anything downstream of the short besides kill power.

Really sorry about your amp situation though. Burnt electronics is a painful smell.

Wouldn't the fuse installed in the amp protect the amp?
Fuses in the amp prevent the amp from causing a fire. Fuses in power wires prevent the power wire from causing a fire. It's as simple as ohm's law. Current is based on supply voltage and total resistance. It's a law, not a theorem. If an amp draws enough current to cause damage, it's because the amp has an internal short, meaning lower resistance. Your battery can't randomly defy ohm's law and throw more current at the amp just because there is a new parallel load (the short) in the circuit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...