Pontiac G6 P0128 code

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
P0128 Coolant temperature below threshold. 3.5L 2008 G6 GT. Automatic Trans. (ECT) Engine Coolant Temp sensor. Located below the throttle body in the head. 3/4" box wrench/short handle works best. Simple replacement. Clear the code manually. If the code comes back, change the thermostat. Remove passenger headlight to gain easier access. 10mm bolts on thermostat housing. Clear code manually. DONE!

Pontiac, Chevy, GM in general. On the Pontiac the most often culprit is the thermostat for the P0128 code.

Cross drilled and slotted rotors on a daily driver is pointless. They are more prone to cracking and have less surface area. Only time you need them is when racing and experiencing brake fade from too much heat.

I did my brakes. Cleaned the slides with a wire brush and brake clean then lubricated all the sliding bits. Cleaned off the rotors with the brake parts cleaner, each rotor, both sides twice. Checked all my suspension parts and everything looks great for the mileage. Took the car out and broke in the brakes per manufacturer recommendations then tested braking from 80mph to 50mph to simulate taking an off ramp and no more shaking of the steering wheel. This means my suspicions of a warped rotor were correct.

20200309-170802-HDR.jpg

20200309-170807-HDR.jpg

20200309-171909-HDR.jpg

20200309-165118-HDR.jpg

For some people the slotted rotors are the way to go. One of my family members warps rotors on her car in 10k or less. The slotted ones off the net are at 17k with no problems.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.