Pioneer FH-S705B ($198) V Kenwood DPX-5100BT ($228)..... (AUD)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cross(x)Hair

TLDR: Which of these units would u suggest?

Went to JB-Hifi looking to buy a single DIN headunit (replacing my Pioneer mp3 cd deck that ive had for about 12-14 years because the CD drive no longer works and it contains no AUX output) but came across these, they offered me the Pioneer one for $179 and the Kenwood for about $10 or so more.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/kenwood/kenwood-dpx-5100bt-2-din-cd-receiver-with-bluetooth/592350/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/pioneer/pioneer-fh-s705bt-in-car-cd-player-with-dual-bluetooth/500692/

I googled the crap out of these two units to see which to choose and could find next to NOTHING about them other than specs and maybe one review. They seem almost identical spec wise, but are Pioneers still superior?

So basically I'm asking you guys which of these two you would go for? $200 is 100% my ceiling as I was only looking at spending $120 or so, but realising I can easily (Im hoping) put this in myself (with a wiring harness plug) I decided I can spend a little more. To be honest Im quite suprised they are this cheap nowdays with all these features, my mp3 deck cost me $500+ when I got it.

Things you may need to know.:

*Car is a Tj Magna Series 2

*I like the look of the Pioneer one overall, but the Kenwood Screen text is WAY more modern looking to me and kinda shocked me how much nicer it looked.

*I want this to last as long as my old one did, so build quality is high on my list of priorities.

*My speaker setup is nothing fancy but definitely does the job for me, just 2 Sony fronts and 2 Pioneer rears and I have no want to change this. ie. I wont be adding a sub or amp in the forseeable future.

*I use an android phone my wife uses an iPhone. I am hoping to run youtube audio through this and my own mp3 collection.

*I mainly listen to Heavy Metal of various strains. From Instrumental to speed.

*Hoping for quite decent Bluetooth phone calling quality.

*Should I even bother with a double DIN? As I said originally I was just going to grab either the Pioneer DEHS5050BT or the Pioneer DEHS4050BT , but decided on a bigger unit because they look nice and aren't to much more.

Not sure if their are any other factors im not considering, but happy to answer questions and take on facts or info about streaming/android/iphone.etc and also whether I can voice control my phone to play certain things, but that's probably worth another thread.

Thanks all I will be checking back round the clock, but hoping to have made a decision by Friday.

If your older Pioneer has the blue square plug on the back P-bus jack you can add an Aux in cable to the deck for about $10usd
I think its time to let the past die, I'd really like to be ab le to use bluetooth calling and streaming and the rest. But that is a very good point to note.

Anyone else got any help for me?

TLDR: Which of these units would u suggest?
Went to JB-Hifi looking to buy a single DIN headunit (replacing my Pioneer mp3 cd deck that ive had for about 12-14 years because the CD drive no longer works and it contains no AUX output) but came across these, they offered me the Pioneer one for $179 and the Kenwood for about $10 or so more.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/kenwood/kenwood-dpx-5100bt-2-din-cd-receiver-with-bluetooth/592350/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/pioneer/pioneer-fh-s705bt-in-car-cd-player-with-dual-bluetooth/500692/

I googled the crap out of these two units to see which to choose and could find next to NOTHING about them other than specs and maybe one review. They seem almost identical spec wise, but are Pioneers still superior?

So basically I'm asking you guys which of these two you would go for? $200 is 100% my ceiling as I was only looking at spending $120 or so, but realising I can easily (Im hoping) put this in myself (with a wiring harness plug) I decided I can spend a little more. To be honest Im quite suprised they are this cheap nowdays with all these features, my mp3 deck cost me $500+ when I got it.

Things you may need to know.:

*Car is a Tj Magna Series 2

*I like the look of the Pioneer one overall, but the Kenwood Screen text is WAY more modern looking to me and kinda shocked me how much nicer it looked.

*I want this to last as long as my old one did, so build quality is high on my list of priorities.

*My speaker setup is nothing fancy but definitely does the job for me, just 2 Sony fronts and 2 Pioneer rears and I have no want to change this. ie. I wont be adding a sub or amp in the forseeable future.

*I use an android phone my wife uses an iPhone. I am hoping to run youtube audio through this and my own mp3 collection.

*I mainly listen to Heavy Metal of various strains. From Instrumental to speed.

*Hoping for quite decent Bluetooth phone calling quality.

*Should I even bother with a double DIN? As I said originally I was just going to grab either the Pioneer DEHS5050BT or the Pioneer DEHS4050BT , but decided on a bigger unit because they look nice and aren't to much more.

Not sure if their are any other factors im not considering, but happy to answer questions and take on facts or info about streaming/android/iphone.etc and also whether I can voice control my phone to play certain things, but that's probably worth another thread.

Thanks all I will be checking back round the clock, but hoping to have made a decision by Friday.
If you are planning on adding an amplifier or anything else in the future, the pioneer is way superior in every way possible. Audio section, tuning section, pre-out voltage section are all way superior than the kenwood that only has two pairs of 2.5 volt pre-out? thats a gaint indicator if a sh*t sounding head unit raising all sorts of red flags making my car audio sense tingling telling me to stay the fk away from it.

If you are planning on adding an amplifier or anything else in the future, the pioneer is way superior in every way possible. Audio section, tuning section, pre-out voltage section are all way superior than the kenwood that only has two pairs of 2.5 volt pre-out? thats a gaint indicator if a sh*t sounding head unit raising all sorts of red flags making my car audio sense tingling telling me to stay the fk away from it.
I dont think I will as I have a 3 year old and maybe another someday so the car is a family car now and im less into music as I use to be and am very happy wiht the sound I have. Just such a **** shame how nice the screen on the Kenwood looks, dunno why Pioneer still uses archaic blocks to represent letters and numbers:(

Shame I also cant seem to find any videos or any info (other than the official Aussie websites for them) of these two models (are they listed differently in the USA/world), I'd like to see how song titles and that look and whether the lights flash in time to the music at all. Amongst many other things.

I do keep reading that the DPX500bt has alot of issues but im assuming the DPX51000bt is a newer model>?

I dont think I will as I have a 3 year old and maybe another someday so the car is a family car now and im less into music as I use to be and am very happy wiht the sound I have. Just such a **** shame how nice the screen on the Kenwood looks, dunno why Pioneer still uses archaic blocks to represent letters and numbers:(
Shame I also cant seem to find any videos or any info (other than the official Aussie websites for them) of these two models (are they listed differently in the USA/world), I'd like to see how song titles and that look and whether the lights flash in time to the music at all. Amongst many other things.

I do keep reading that the DPX500bt has alot of issues but im assuming the DPX51000bt is a newer model>?

I'd still go with the pioneer. When a head unit has 2 pairs of 2.5 volt pre-outs, you know that quality was not in the equation when the head unit was built aka kenwood. I find the internal components in head units like that are a lot cheaper and the sound is a lot sh*ttier then well made head units that emphasized sound quality in mind.

I'd still go with the pioneer. When a head unit has 2 pairs of 2.5 volt pre-outs, you know that quality was not in the equation when the head unit was built aka kenwood. I find the internal components in head units like that are a lot cheaper and the sound is a lot sh*ttier then well made head units that emphasized sound quality in mind.
Maybe this model is different to the one ur actually looking at?

Kenwood Dual Din USB/CD Receiver High Voltage 4.0V 3-Preouts DPX-5100BT

Ohh I see the jbhifi link shows it only has 2x 2.5.....wierd

Does this change anything if it is in fact 3x 4v?

Maybe this model is different to the one ur actually looking at?
Kenwood Dual Din USB/CD Receiver High Voltage 4.0V 3-Preouts DPX-5100BT

Ohh I see the jbhifi link shows it only has 2x 2.5.....wierd

Does this change anything if it is in fact 3x 4v?
no, on kenwood's direct site it shows 2 x 2.5v and the back proves this.

18_DPX-5100BT_back.png

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.