Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX Wireless CarPlay problems.

Participant count
  • Participant list

mutatio

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
First post! Woot! With that out of the way, down to business. 😁

I’ve picked up a couple of these units and have been having some issues with wireless CarPlay. I have the latest firmware in them, 1.30, but I’m finding that after using the HD radio tuner for a while, despite CarPlay having initiated successfully upon booting, when trying to switch to CarPlay, I get a black screen. It sometimes resolves itself and connects in say 15 seconds or so but other times it seems like it would go on indefinitely (having waited at least 3 minutes for it to kick in before returning to the Home Screen). I’ve done the usual troubleshooting efforts like rebooting the phone, un-pairing and re-pairing for CarPlay, and resetting the receiver to factory defaults and no luck. I still get the occasional black screen when moving from the regular interface to CarPlay.

Anyone else seeing issues like this on the 4660 or it’s bigger siblings, the 7600 and 8600NEX units? If so, any solutions?

The receiver I’ve also picked up to weigh my options is the Kenwood DMX907S. There are trade offs. I like the tactile buttons to rely on while driving and I’m not seeing anything in the way of the wireless CarPlay problems (also tested some of the same use patterns to try and determine if it was a CarPlay/phone glitch), though I prefer Pioneer’s cleaner and more intuitive radio layout (really Kenwood, you put the list of stations on the right side of the radio UI?). The user interface on the Pioneer also has some hiccups and lagginess, but the wireless CarPlay not being reliable is my main beef with it in terms of considering keeping the units.

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited:
I have the same HU and do not have that problem. When I switch to my hotspot to use Alexa/Amazon music the CarPlay will go dark. I can then
push the dark CarPlay icon and it will switch back. When I use the radio my CarPlay icon does not go dark.
Have you tried selecting your phone when it goes dark?

Thanks for the reply. That is odd/interesting. Makes me wonder if these units were/are ready for prime time. How do you mean "selecting your phone"? e.g., on the phone itself? In the Pioneer UI where it indicates the phone as being used for CarPlay?

Off topic a bit, but I also tried out the DMH-2660NEX with wired CarPlay and found it to be a snappy upgrade from my AVH-2550NEX, particularly as it regards CarPlay getting initiated. I plug in my iPhone and CarPlay activates almost immediately with the 1660, while the 2550, albeit reliable as a whole, can take a bit longer to get things up and running. Makes me wonder if we'll see a similar change with wireless CarPlay reliability in the newer units out this year. Being relatively new to the car stereo aftermarket scene, one of the things I've quickly discovered is that this is not the realm of extensive operating system/user interface support (and upgrades). The manufacturers seem to rely primarily on adding new features or a tweak to their UI to justify upgrades, but efforts to support the operating system beyond a calendar year seem rare. e.g., it's not like computers or cell phones where you can see numerous operating system upgrades for 3-5 years before the hardware is considered unable to keep up with newer demands. It'd be fantastic if one of the brands were to offer newer firmware/OS upgrades that the hardware can still run, even if it would make it competitive with newer models.

I have the same HU and do not have that problem. When I switch to my hotspot to use Alexa/Amazon music the CarPlay will go dark. I can then
push the dark CarPlay icon and it will switch back. When I use the radio my CarPlay icon does not go dark.
Have you tried selecting your phone when it goes dark?

Last edited:
On your Hu Home Screen you may have a phone icon if not swipe from right to left once or twice. Press the phone icon and it will go to a screen that should say (your name)’s phone press that and it will establish a connection within 20 seconds or so.
You may have a faulty unit. Once I start my truck it connects as soon as it boots up without plugging my phone in.

Can you turn off Learning mode for the 3D Calibration? My GPS is way off unless I reset the 3D calibration. Then its fine; until the next time I get in the car and I have to reset the Status again if I want the navigation to work. Any thoughts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...