Picked up a 96 civic for a daily but gas mpg isn’t what I thought it would be

Participant count
  • Participants list

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
So Sunday bought a 96 4 door civic with only 125k on it. It’s only the 2nd 4cyl I’ve ever owned and it’s dog asssss slow. Automatic...runs like a sewing machine but I think the motor is a little tired bc the reason I think I’m not getting good gas mpg is bc this thing is so slow I have to hammer it to get up hills, merge onto the highway, pass slow drivers. Anything I should do without turning it into a tuner rice mobile!!? Intake, hypertec, sell it and get a accord?.

Need more details....is it slow because its not up to your standards slow....like treating it like a v8 fast...or what? Maybe do a tune up on it. Sounds like it wasn't taken care of very well.

Standards usually get a few mpg more than autos, especially on the smaller japenese engines. The auto should still get like 28-32mpg?

cai intakes don't really help as much for the work it can be to remove air box.. 1st think just get k&n filter, new plugs, change oil, fuel filter & tans fl & filter also put some b12 chemtool gas treatment (walmart metal can $3) in only like 1/2 tank premium gas.. if u have a muffler shop (or u have a laser temp gun) check temp on cat. after u drive 20 mins if temp over 650 u probably need to change that and that'll really add some hp back..

Cat delete, sri, ngk spark plugs and thicker wires. That will give it some more pep in it’s step.

Oh and seafoam that *****! Oil, vac line, and gas tank. Make sure you change oil about 80 miles after foaming the oil.

Lol def don’t expect v8 results as far as power but my Silverado on 24” wheels gets about 14-15 mpg city and I’m thinking I’m only getting 19/20 out of this civic

Yea just bought it last Sunday night and haven’t had time to do anything to it, tomorrow I’m changing oil, gonna give restore a try, pulls the plugs to see what they look like, change the air filter, and I have a temp gun I’m gonna see if there’s an issue with the cat

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.