Out of the scene for ~10-ish years, need help with subs

Participant count
  • Participants list

kendogg
10+ year member

BMW expert
Hi everybody. Lookin at subs for the first time in awhile. I've had stuff all over the spectrum, and I've noticed that the design criteria for newer stuff is WAY different than back in the day. Now it seems like every big sub is some bottom-feeding monster that has 4" of xmax but has nothing up top. I've had a few of the the ultra-low inductance drivers, Don't like them. Want something MUSICAL. I had a couple dozen original JL W0's in various configurations & sizes. My favorite subs ever made are Orion XTR Series 2's. Old Kicker Solobarics were, obviously, awesome (round ones, way before the square SPL ****). If I were looking for something made today, having a similar sound to those old school subs, what should I be looking for?

For reference, my sub collection is pretty simple. Wanna preserve most of it though if possible and at least try to buy something new for this build.

(2) Orion XTR Series 2 10" DVC's
(1) Orion XTR Series 2 12" SVC
(1) ED EHQS 12
(1) Image Dynamics ID8
(3) Rockford Fosgate HX2 12
(4) ED 11Ov2 - 3 functional, 1 torn surround (on that note, if anybody knows where I can get the correct surround for the 11Ov2, I'm ALL EARS).
(2) JL free-air 8's in BMW E36 StealthBoxes

What type of vehicle will this be going in, and what amplifier being used?Stock vehicle battery, and alternator? What is your max budget? How much space are you willing to give up for sub stage?

None of that matters wrt my questions.
I ask due to certain environments and enclosures make quite a bit of the listen criteria trying to be achieved along with power provided for that as well. A good MUSICAL sub woofer that is on the market these days and that has a 5 year warranty that you will not find from any other would be the Dayton HO sub woofer.SSA sub woofers are another great choice such as the Icon and Gcon series. You may even get PSI to build a sub to suit

I ask due to certain environments and enclosures make quite a bit of the listen criteria trying to be achieved along with power provided for that as well. A good MUSICAL sub woofer that is on the market these days and that has a 5 year warranty that you will not find from any other would be the Dayton HO sub woofer.SSA sub woofers are another great choice such as the Icon and Gcon series. You may even get PSI to build a sub to suit

I've never read anything bad about a Dayton drive in the past 20+ years I've been in this hobby, to be honest. Never heard of SSA, but I'll look into them.

What about Imagine Dynamics? I've read ID is no longer ID, have they screwed up those designs 'updating' them with the new owners? Or is there any possibility at all that a new IDQ would sound similar to an IDQ from 20 years ago?

I've never read anything bad about a Dayton drive in the past 20+ years I've been in this hobby, to be honest. Never heard of SSA, but I'll look into them.

What about Imagine Dynamics? I've read ID is no longer ID, have they screwed up those designs 'updating' them with the new owners? Or is there any possibility at all that a new IDQ would sound similar to an IDQ from 20 years ago?
I have two sets of Dayton HO sub woofers, 10s and 12s. I do alot of swapping around in two different trucks when I get tired of things. Helps when Ive got several amps, subs, and other gear to play around with. I can Vouch for Dayton HO subs. Great SQ type oriented sub for the $.. Had an 12" SSA Icon and kick myself in the teeth for getting rid of it, as well as a pair of Gcon 10s. Ill prob bite the bullet and Pick up another Icon if not a pair. I cant state anything about ID subwoofers then and now. I do have a couple pair of the components that have been worthy with door treatments, yet I have updated to CDT HD series and Braxl setup with upstage tweets Ill put back in soon.
https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/icon-12-1250w-subwoofer-by-ssa/

I ran those old school orions and the round solos too way back in the day.

The SSA subs would be a good one to check out..
JL subs I still like even though most people here don't..
I keep hearing the Stereo Integrity SQL is a nice sub too.

Actually all that matters and is an essential part of building a stereo system but you're the expert we just hang out here...
Anyway...(3) Rockford Fosgate HX2 12 hands down is what I would run out of all those.
He asked a specific question. Responding to a question about subwoofers with "how's your alternator?" implies the guy doesn't know what he's doing.

Actually all that matters and is an essential part of building a stereo system but you're the expert we just hang out here...
Anyway...(3) Rockford Fosgate HX2 12 hands down is what I would run out of all those.

It is, but it doesn't pertain to what I actually asked. What does my alternator or vehicle have to do with driver design philosophy?

It is, but it doesn't pertain to what I actually asked. What does my alternator or vehicle have to do with driver design philosophy?
"How much space are you willing to give up for sub stage?"

This part of the question has all the pertinentcy in the world why even talk about any woofer if it won't work in YOUR application?
We could talk about dozens of great woofers but if you don't have the room for proper enclosure and sub orientation then what fawk is the point of talking nawmmsayn

REALLY.Have you ever tried Stereo Integrity or SSA? Dayton IDs wow ..I doubt RF HX2 is better hands down.......just wow

REALLY.Have you ever tried Stereo Integrity or SSA? Dayton IDs wow ..I doubt RF HX2 is better hands down.......just wow
Dumbass...out of the list of woofers he posted that is the ones I would run and not even fuk with buying some other Chinese ****
Dayton audio is **** chinesium junk. They used to be ok for the money but QC has gone the way of the dodo bird....just wow @jrouter76
Have I ever tried SSA...why yes I have fuktard and they're just copies of copies of other copies nothing that special. You see my mafukin hutchinson audio neo hoe sitting there too huh fuker??
You want linear how about an xbl woofer from adire let's talk about it?
Mr you ever run Dayton audio it's like pretty much the best thing ever 😄 🤣 😆
20220117_072934.jpg

*******...out of the list of woofers he posted that is the ones I would run and not even fuk with buying some other Chinese ****
Dayton audio is **** chinesium junk. They used to be ok for the money but QC has gone the way of the dodo bird....just wow @jrouter76
Have I ever tried SSA...why yes I have fuktard and they're just copies of copies of other copies nothing that special. You see my mafukin hutchinson audio neo hoe sitting there too huh fuker??
You want linear how about an xbl woofer from adire let's talk about it?
Mr you ever run Dayton audio it's like pretty much the best thing ever 😄 🤣 😆 View attachment 35183
what is fuktard? come on now are you getting hostile? if its smoke you want I can give it to you son, Learn how to write proper sentences and speak proper ENGLISH...you come off very offensive because you`re butthurt about someone having a different opinion about RF subs RF have stuff MADE IN CHINA too son. you sound very young dumb and full of ***.

what is fuktard? come on now are you getting hostile? if its smoke you want I can give it to you son, Learn how to write proper sentences and speak proper ENGLISH...you come off very offensive because you`re butthurt about someone having a different opinion about RF subs RF have stuff MADE IN CHINA too son. you sound very young dumb and full of ***.
You're from Mt.Vernon Illifuknois that tells me everything I need to know about you cousinfukker!
The rf hx2 in question are USA made old school quality 3" coiled subwoofers that can still hold up against many of today's woofers.
Gimme dat smoke @jrouter76

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...