Orion Hcca 250 or Hifonics Bxi1606??

whammybarallsta

OC/LA
I got a new Chrys 300 and I am going to put 2 JL12w6 4ohm subs in it. I came across a guy with 2 amps.. the old Orion Hcca 250 (great working condition) and a new Hifonics class D Bxi1606. He's selling them for the same price.

I want an amp to thump clean and hard but not break a sweat or get stupid hot. Reliability that won't screw with my new car's electronics too bad, draw too much current (can bus vehicle), or experience anything but casual maintainance.

Plan is to run the Orion at 1 ohm, and the Hifonics at 2 ohm

Which amp would I be better off with? Opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

well between the Orion and the Hifonics cause I'm getting them for dirt cheap. I just blew all my cash on the new car and rims/tires. Adding subs was basically an after thought cause I already had the 12's laying around and I ran into this guy selling the amps for almost nothing. Otherwise, if I had more money I would def be on the lookout for 500+ dollar amps.

thanks, though.. that's 1 vote so far for the Orion. Any particular reason why besides the old school vibe and that they had a great rep from the past?

I love the old school Orions but they do drink current (class AB). The Hifonics might be a better choice in this sistutation, but only because it prob wont pull as much as that Orion. The Orion is still a very strong amp though..

orion1my3.jpg

here's the Orion hcca 250

how much are you looking to spend i have a orion hcca 250 second gen. i will sell for $225
Good job at bringing a nearly ONE YEAR OLD thread back from the dead:laugh:

I love the Orions
I like them too but the ones I have been getting off of eGay all seem to need repair:(

As a result, I have started looking to current production amplifiers to meet my needs for sub duty.

Another vote for that 2nd generation Orion 250 HCCA, as long as you can keep supplying voltage and current it will keep producing more and more power due to the unregulated power supply. They are solidly built quality amps! I was running an XTR-2150 that was in a rollover and smashed on the highway mounted to a sub box. The casing was bent, twisted and beat to hell but the amp still worked perfectly!

I have an XTR-200 that I am selling that was Orion's best offerings and the precessor to the NT's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.